Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 04:53 AM
    Logmein Free: Setting up other people so I can access their computer
    I get questions from friends about their computer and would like to offer them setting themselves up so that I can access their computer.

I understand that they need to install logmein free, but where do they go from there to allow themselves to be accessed by me?

Thanks!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 04:59 AM
    For my parents and family who all own XP I simply use the Remote Assistance. Here is a link I use to help me and them set it up:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxprmass.html

Sorry if I'm a little off-topic.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 05:34 AM
    Wow, when did they add remote assistance to XP Home Edition? I remember trying it - probably a year or more ago - and learning that it required XP Pro.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 20, 2006, 05:34 AM
    Need beat me to it.
    The easiest thing to do is just to use the inbuilt functionality in MSN Messenger.
    Works a treat.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 05:43 AM
    I see. Ok, that's two options. Thanks!

Now, which one would be the easiest one for me to direct a Novice to - as far as ease of setup and use?
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 05:45 AM
    I've used it when connecting to two XP Home computers. Now that most people have broadband it works quite well. To be honest I have not used it since we all installed wireless routers/gateways so I'm not sure if that becomes an issue.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 20, 2006, 05:50 AM
    The good thing about using the messenger one is that it ensure all the correct ports are open and it's pretty easy.
    It uses the same connection info as remote assistance, but tends to be a little easier to connect.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Remote Assistance was always in XP Home as a host, but you needed XP Pro to connect as the remote.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 07:15 AM
    I see. So currently, then, XP Home can connect as remote?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2006, 07:39 AM
    No, XP Home can be a host, meaning an XP Pro machine can connect to them.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Thanks. That knocks it out of my possibilities, then because my goal is to connect to someone else's computer, and my main computer has XP Home.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 08:00 AM
    You can do it with both users having XP Home, I've done it.
    See here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=300546
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Thanks! I'll have my wife or kids try it from home and see how it goes.

... and next time I'm out with BG I'll let him know that MS needs to get their act together on this feature :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free People Finder Websites [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for some free people search websites. Can anybody give me a comprehensive list of these sites? Also, can anybody provide me with sites that let me know if someone has died? Thanks.

Can't access pop3, Pop3 access not working from my computer [ 1 Answers ]

I have XP SP 2 - Its been about a week since any of my pop3 accounts have worked (Gawab, Gmail, Spymac, Toughguy). The error messages I am receiving on all of my pop3 accounts are similar to : The host 'pop.gawab.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name...

Legality of letting people download Free MP3's [ 3 Answers ]

What are the consequences of letting people download mp3's for free. Even though the artist is foreign and is dead? THank you!!

Is there way to access the computer of(the person you are chatting with) ,while chat? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, My question is ,Is it possible to gain access to the computer( the person you are chatting with) ,while in a chat.. If it's really possible then how? I just want 2 gain access to my friends PC , while on a chat conversation.. Please help with this... I have learnt about...

Email access from a different computer [ 0 Answers ]

My question is simply this. I am attempting to get my email from my MSN email name but I have had to go to a different computer and MSN doesn't seem to recognize my password from this computer when I try to login?

View more questions Search