Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SunCom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 01:10 PM
    Riding mower starts but cuts off after a few seconds
    I have a Cub Cadet 1500 series, model # 13A221F100. I bought new battery, replaced both cable terminals, replaced both spark plugs. My riding mower will start but it cuts off after a few seconds. Help.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 02:03 PM

Check for good grounding under the seat for a safety switch. If that ground is intermittent then it can shut off. That being said.

Also sounds like carb needs fuel.

Did you change fuel filter also?
    Try carb cleaner and see if carb works better.

Fuel can be bad in tank. Always use New fuel when trouble starts like this. I drain tank and new High test fuel to start. Fuel can cause this also. I'm anal that way solved many what thought to be carb problems that way.
    Is short.
    Fuel filter.
    Cracked fuel lines and or bad fuel clamps

Fuel pump in carb bad.
    Float in carb stuck.

The best way to test the engine and take the carb out of the equation is I use a hand pump spray bottle with high test gas and spray in the carb and if I can keep the engine running its defiantly the carb fuel / fuel pump problem not the engine spark coil problem.

Try the aboves and get back so we can narrow this down more.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 03:33 PM

Remove gas cap, start mower, see what happens.
    SunCom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Check for good grounding under the seat for a safety switch. If that ground is intermittent then it can shut off. That being said.

Also sounds like carb needs fuel.

Did you change fuel filter also?
    Try carb cleaner and see if carb works better.

Fuel can be bad in tank. Always use New fuel when trouble starts like this. I drain tank and new High test fuel to start. Fuel can cause this also. I'm anal that way solved many what thought to be carb problems that way.
    Is short.
    Fuel filter.
    Cracked fuel lines and or bad fuel clamps

Fuel pump in carb bad.
    Float in carb stuck.

The best way to test the engine and take the carb out of the equation is I use a hand pump spray bottle with high test gas and spray in the carb and if I can keep the engine running its defiantly the carb fuel / fuel pump problem not the engine spark coil problem.

Try the aboves and get back so we can narrow this down more.
    I drained fuel tank, checked and drained fuel lines, checked the bowl and found orange colored residue and water looking fluid (stale fuel), and it starts right up. Thanks for quick response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riding Mower Starts, but won't Move [ 6 Answers ]

My son was mowing the lawn with our John Deere riding mower yesterday. It stalled on him and he pushed it back to the driveway. I got it started, but when you step on the gas, it doesn't move. Now the thing is stuck in the front yard and it started raining overnight! Any ideas? :confused:

Riding mower sometimes starts. Other times not. [ 1 Answers ]

My MTD riding mower (model 135M679G062 14HP 42" cut) will sometimes crank, sometimes not. The battery and the starter are good. I had them checked by a technician. I called him because it would not crank at all. He started it right up. I asked him what he did that I did not do. He wasn't sure....

Sear riding mower starts but won't run [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am adding this for my husband, I will not know the correct terminology. We have a Sears B&S riding mower. Part number 40H700. We replaced the battery, but hooked it up backwards and it ran for a while, but then went downhill. Now it will start, and run, until you start to drive or engage the...

1992 civic cuts out while driving and starts after a little while then cuts out [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 1992 civic and recently it just started cutting out while driving. The first day I was ready to get onto the freeway and it just cut out. It started again after a while and was okay getting home. It ran a little rough but made it home. The next day it was fine on the way to work but coming...

Craftsman riding mower only starts with a jump from a car battery [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We've got a Craftsman rider (~15hp) and it won't start on it's own, but it will start with the help of a car battery. I've seen a lot of forums that talk about solenoids and relays, but I'm not sure if this is our problem, and if so, which part is bad. If the mower has been sitting for...

View more questions Search