Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zachv Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Holy crap... that worked like a charm!! The blower kicked in and off it went!

Is this a viable long term solution? Or should I look into getting a new control board?

Any suggestions on where to find something like that? Grainger? I'm pretty comfortable actually changing it, if I can get my hands on one.

Thanks a ton!!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 02:32 PM

This will work for you intill you are able to get a new board. The really that runs the eac will not carry as many amps and it will soon start doing what the cooling relay is doing now. Hard to say it may lasta day it may last 2 yrs. I do it when I am on service calls sometimes just to get the homeowner cool air till I got a new board for them.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Grainger may have it.

Apr 26, 2009, 02:43 PM
    OK, I feel like a fool... when I said it worked, I was completely wrong. I had left the thermostat on "off", not heat or cool. So, when I flipped on the power switch after moving the cool to eac, the blower kicked on... doing nothing but recirculating air. But when I put the thermo back to cool and turned the it to on, it did the same thing... compressor kicked on and then the on/off thing the blower was doing before.

No change from move from EAC to cool.

Got any other tricks up your sleeve??

Apr 26, 2009, 02:54 PM
    One other thing I noticed ( and it may not matter), but the cool plug is also jumped to "heat-hi".
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 03:20 PM

This is so both heat and cool are on high speed, should not matter the realys are separated
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 03:22 PM
    I am about 85% sure you are going to need a new board, but for the time being if the t-stat is controlling the outdoor unit fine you can wire the fan so it runs all the time.

Apr 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
    OK, that sounds promising... How would I do that?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 03:29 PM

Well that black wire you hooked to eac. You can splice it with the black wire going to L1, other then the board I am not thinking of anything that would be causing our symptoms. And you say the fan will run all day long in the heat cycle?

Apr 26, 2009, 03:37 PM
    The heat side of the furnace was working fine, even 2 days ago. I know it was on for a good hour Thursday morning.

So, I'm little confused by what you mean by L1? I have a contact labeled "Line"... is that the one?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 04:08 PM

Yes that's the one, or you can just wire it right to the main power where it comes in to the black wire.

Apr 26, 2009, 04:35 PM
    OK, thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I found the local distributor, so I'm going to see if I can get the controller tomorrow.

And, here's the kicker: I put everything back, so that I'd know where everything was when I replace the controller. Just for fun, I tried it one more time and it actually all turned on! What? Yep, I'm getting nice cool air blowing through my house.

I must have tried this 20 times today, especially with all the help you've been giving me. And then boom, it starts working...

Maybe some carbon buildup? Maybe a stuck relay? Maybe a bad connection? Not something that I can rely on, for sure.

I'm going to keep a close eye on it, and maybe get the controller just in case...

Thanks for all the help.

--Zach
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 05:00 PM

Glad it is working for you, there is a chance it was just a lose connection I get about 1 of those a week. Good luck let me now how it turns out for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coleman Furnace blower kicks on and off [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Coleman model DGAT070BDE that is 9 years old. It has suddenly started acting strange. The blower motor will kick on and run for about a minute, then shut off for about 5 minutes and start all over again until I shut off the power to the furnace. The thermostat is not calling for heat as it...

Central A/C outside runs but compressor kicks on and off [ 2 Answers ]

Just cleaned the complete system, at furnace and outside. Had unit serviced (Sears Kenmore) for low freon, now when I turn on A/C the fan outside runs OK but the compressor kicks on then off after 10 seconds. This is the first time I ran the unit since it was serviced by a technician. Could this...

Blower kicks on and off [ 1 Answers ]

Will I read a lot of questions very much like mine, but I'm a person who knows nothing about the furnace. All I know is that it's COLD here. We changed the filter a couple days ago and we started hearing the furnace was kicking on and off. So we went down stairs to check it out. What we could see...

Blower kicks on and the pilot goes out [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all! I have a Trane XE 60 Gas Furnace. I have replaced the Thermocouple and have gotten the pilot lit. The gas will come on and the flame will warm the heater unit?? When the blower motor comes on, it blows out the pilot light and it won't re-light. Any Help!! Please!! Thank you

View more questions Search