Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandra Paynter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Surrendering Life Policies
    I have a paid-up Life Policy that matures in 2015 for £4300 if it matures at the rate of 3.75%
    I can surrender the policy now to the original insurance company for £3900

I have been told that I can sell it for a larger amount to another company. Is this true?
    If this is true,how do I find a reputable company who won't rip me off?
    pathisfer Posts: 94, Reputation: 22

Apr 26, 2009, 07:52 AM
    I was only aware that you can transfer a life policy or do an exchange but I'm not sure you can sell a life insurance policy?
    If your life insurance policy is paid up, are you just needing cash and don't need the protection anymore?
    Is this a whole life policy? You can check with another company and see if you can switch to a variable life policy which may give you a better return (VULs have mutual funds).
    You can check A.M. Best for ratings on insurance companies and call the most reputable ones.
    rogerw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 05:37 PM

The only thing you can sell (maybe) is the death benefit if your health is failing and you need the cash. There will be a substantial difference between the offer made to you and the face amount of the policy. Other than that, the only other option is a 1035 exchange to a new policy. This will trigger new fees and commissions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surrendering the Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I am a green card holder and all other members of my family i.e. my wife and sons are US citizen. I am 65 years old and I want to go to my country and stay for a long time. I want to surrender my green card but want to obtain tourist visa for 10 years so that I can visit my family members...

Surrendering timeshare [ 3 Answers ]

We filed for chapter 13, and we included our timeshare on it. How would we know id there is any potential tax consequences associated with deed in lieu of foreclosure? Our lawyer send us a letter of warranty deed. Can you please help us and tell us where to find the answer to our concern. ...

Surrendering insurance policies and reporting gain (or loss) [ 6 Answers ]

I surrendered two insurance policies last year - one was a Whole Life policy and the other was a Variable Universal Life policy. The insurance company where I had the Whole Life policy sent me a 1099-R showing the gain on the policy, which I owe taxes on. The company where I had the Variable...

View more questions Search