Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcjones122 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 11:37 PM
    Belkin router with comcast
    I'm trying to connect a Belkin wireless G router to my PC to allow wireless capabilities for my laptop. I've done this previously with another service provider but I'm not able to connect to the internet at all this time. I've used the manual and checked all connections,but no internet connection. Would someone please help?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 02:33 AM

There is some missing info, but I believe you need to "Clone the MAC address of your router that your replacing"

Apr 26, 2009, 08:22 AM
    What info is missing? I followed the directions from Belkin, but I can't get a connection through the router. The internet connection to my PC without the router is fine. Where do I go to get info about cloning the address?
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 12:15 PM

1. Are you replacing the comcast device with the Belkin?

2. Are you operating the comcast modem in bridge mode and using the Belkin Router? Is the comcast modem capable of operating in bridge mode?

3. Are you trying to use the Belkin router as an access point? It must be able to be configured as such. Not all routers are.

For 1 or 2 to work, the MAC address or Hardware address that's usually written on modem should match the replacement device unless you ask Comcast to reset you. The address is also called the hardware address. It's usuall a bunch of 2 letters separated by ":"'s e.g. AA:32:65:26:32 For 3 to work, the router must be able to be configured as an access point. Generally it needs to be provided with a fixed IP address on your network.

That number and your username and password has to match comcast's data in order for you to have access to their network, otherwise anybody could log on with your username and password anywhere on the network.

With DSL there is a 1:1 physical connection, so that info isn't ncessary.

"Cloning" allows you to enter a specific hardware address for a device to assume.

What you cannot have is two devices providing NAT and DHCP, so one device has to be disabled.

Apr 26, 2009, 04:57 PM

OK, let me start over. I have used this router before, I went through my then DSL service to provide a wireless connection for my laptop. I now have comcast. I'm trying to set up a connection to use my laptop through.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 05:41 PM

Model number. Better yet, a link to instruction manual of the belkin router.

What is your DHCP address range (from the comcast modem)? Should be something like 168.192.3.40 to 168.192.3.50. Those number are made up. The network usually starts with 168.192 or 10.

Apr 26, 2009, 06:59 PM

F5D7230-4 is the model number for Belkin router. Where would I find the DHCP address range number for he comcast modem?
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 07:38 PM

Belkin only has the manual in french. That does me no good. They also have a reference to setting up the router with comcast, but they don't tell you what to set the connection type to.

They need to fix this.

It's now harder. Can you connect to the router and tell me the choices for "Connection type"?

With a working internet:

If you do an ipconfig /all from the cmd prompt, what is your dfault gateway?

Try to go there with a web browser. I've never seen a comcast box, so I don't know. You might have to find the model of the modem and find the password on the internet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belkin router will not synchronize to the ISP [ 8 Answers ]

Can my phone line be at fault given that:- 1.Router (and my laptop)connect OK at sons house (3 miles away) 2.My laptop mostly connects to ISP first time. Rarely I have to pull out & reinsert the usb conn 3.Original phone master socket crudely rerun & jointed some 10 metres.Into/out of loft....

Wireless Router recommendation W/XBOX 360 & Comcast [ 4 Answers ]

Have Comcast internet, a MAC, PC and a XBOX 360 that I want to go wireless with, don't care so much about the computers as they don't have to be wireless but am looking into purchasing a new wireless router for XBOX 360 and was hoping to get some feedback on which router is the fastest and...

Internet connect over Belkin with NETGEAR [ 5 Answers ]

I've got a Net gear router and I'm trying to connect a laptop over a Belkin Wireless G USB connection. The laptop shows that its connected in the system tray, however the Belkin properties shows a problem between Comp and Ltop. Changing config for windows to manage the connection does not...

Belkin router [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help with my earlier question of 13 march please ? Should the router ADSL (green) light settle down to a continuous display If only connected to phone line and power supply BUT NOT to laptop.

View more questions Search