Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    betafish Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 09:05 PM
    Attic insulation
    I am trying to add insulation to the ceiling of my friends house. Her dad had previously purchased it and it cannot be returned.
    The problem is that it has a face on one surface and the house has two previously applied layers. (1980's house) the bottom layer is blown in, the next is non faced and applied by a contractor years ago. I want to lay down this layer paper up. The attic has an almost new exhaust fan to move air through it.
    We live in a very temperate climate, western Oregon. Will this layer cause any long term problems.
    Thanks-
    Betafish
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 10:14 PM

It will cause so much moisture you will end up ripping ALL of the insulation out. Paper up or down its all wrong and can also create mold and then it gets real expensive down the road

Tear off paper and lay it over the old.

3 months ago I had a customer that did the same thing years ago and it all had to be ripped out

5% of moisture in insul and it looses 95% of its insul properties.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 07:05 AM

Yep, this is the only fix since you can not have a second vapor barrier. If this is fiber glass with a paper face you will be surprised how easily that face will peel off.

Apr 27, 2009, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Yep, this is the only fix since you can not have a second vapor barrier. If this is fiber glass with a paper face you will be surprised how easily that face will peel off.
    Thanks Much, this isn't what I wanted to hear, but I needed to hear It. I've only put up three rolls and will 'fix' that then tear off the paper and re-roll the balance before installing.
    Really appreciate the help!

Apr 27, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    It will cause so much moisture you will end up ripping ALL of the insulation out. Paper up or down its all wrong and can also create mold and then it gets real expensive down the road

Tear off paper and lay it over the old.

3 months ago I had a customer that did the same thing years ago and it all had to be ripped out

5% of moisture in insul and it looses 95% of its insul properties.
    Thanks for saving me a lot of work and money!

May 11, 2009, 08:10 AM

The solution is working wonderfully, I now have another question. Can I insulate over her garage? She has her w/d hookup out there and I think it would be a lot more comfortable year around if I did.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2009, 08:28 AM

Garage walls and ceiling are fairly easy to insulate. However are you talking about another room above the garage, not certain from your post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attic Insulation [ 2 Answers ]

Is it wise to put new insulation over old insulation in the attic? I have fiberglass insulation now and would use the same kind from a home supply center. My home was built in 1968. It would be a messy job removing the old insulation and replacing it with new insulation that is why I asked the...

Attic Insulation [ 4 Answers ]

I have a full walk through unheated attic with 3 1/2 " of insulation in the rafters. I intend to remove the insulation and install approx. R-30 in the floor and cover with Plywood to use as storage. In the future I will be heating the space and converting it Into a bedroom. My question is can...

Attic Insulation [ 3 Answers ]

I have a walk out attic over my garage. I was able to install myself r13 batts of over the 3rd car garage area as the studs fit the insulation perfect for what I installed in the walls of the garage. I had extra so used it up. The only section left to insulate is the 2 car part, but am not sure...

Attic Insulation [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two story box house. The attic has insulation under the floor. The 10 ft peak attic is for storage. Should I add insulation under the roof? Thanks, Steve

Attic Insulation [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in the process of building a house and have received conflicting advice on insulating the attic. The architect specified "Sealection" foam insulation against/under the roof with a conditioned attic. However, the builder decided to ignore this specification since that's method is not what they...

View more questions Search