Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emalinek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Two problems with miniature schnauzer
    I have a nine year old miniature schnauzer who is a delight except for two issues.
    One is that she is mortified when she rides in a vehicle... shakes, pants, barks, and cries.
    We would love to be able to take her places with us, and we have tried everything we know to change this. I could really use any suggestions.

Two is ,that especially after being groomed and at other times too, she chews on her feet until they are sore. It just is compulsive and drives her crazy and me too! The vet suggested putting Listerine on her feet, but this did nothing.

Can anyone that can help with these issues?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 02:30 AM

Hi Emanilek,
    I too have a dog that used to be petrified of going in the car. I had to hold her on my lap and cover her eyes whenever we went through a tunnel or past a truck. I distracted her with a toy or some food which to be honest didn't help a great deal but for some dogs it does.
    Eventually (after many many car rides) she settled down. She still doesn't love the car but she tolerates it enough now not to get stressed out about it.

How do you transport him in the car?
    Dog harness, back seat, on your lap, in a crate?

Some dogs stress out a lot less if they are kept in a pet carrier or crate during car rides, they can't really see what is going on around them and aren't as scared.

As for the grooming. A lot of dogs get clipper rash from the blades running against their skin. Ask your groomer to clip the hair a little longer to prevent this and use some cortizone cream on the rash until it has healed.
    I've never heard of listerine being used on wounds... would sting really bad :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Schnauzer dog [ 2 Answers ]

My dog died recently and after taking a break, I am ready for another one----another Schnauzer like I have had in the past. I have the opportunity to get a 7 month old female. Housebroken, warm and very friendly. I am concerned with one thing------at what age can this type of dog be left...

Miniature Schnauzer, 7 months old, never drinks, tiny [ 1 Answers ]

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer Age: 7 months Gender: Male I'm pretty worried about this little puppy. He's 7 months and the runt of the litter his mom bore. His 4 siblings are all about 4 times his size. As far as we can tell this has been since birth. He was actually not the smallest puppy,...

Problems with feeding my miniature dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini dachshund, about 7 months now. The only way he will eat anything is if my mom or I feed him... with a spoon. We started this when he was a small pup because he will not even touch his food and he seemed to detest food that is hard to chew. So we changed his diet to raw chicken crushed...

Potty problems with my Miniature Schnauzer [ 19 Answers ]

I am hoping someone might be able to help solve some problems I am having with our new puppy. Finzi is 14 weeks old, and we just got him a week ago. He is a product of a puppy mill, and for whatever reason, the pet stores passed on him and we got him from a rescue society. Finzi is...

Miniature schnauzer [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, I happen to have an odd situation that I hope someone here will be able to help me with. I have a 5 month old miniature schnauzer. At least 4 or 5 times a day this odd sound comes out of him. I want to describe it as a sort of purring sound. He does it at any given time, and I have no idea...

View more questions Search