Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Obama and Cuba ?
    Obama is opening up more relations and dialog with Cuba. If the Cubans accepted the U.S. lifting all sanctions against Cuba, And travel out of the U.S. to Cuba was a common thing, what would be the pros and cons? Would it help or hurt The U.S. or the Cubans?
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Apr 25, 2009, 11:48 AM
    I think the embargo and travel restrictions became obsolete after the collapse of the Soviet Union. It makes no sense now to maintain it, especially since the U.S. does trade with communist China and with other countries with worse human rights records such as Saudi Arabia. Lifting the restrictions would help improve the U.S. image in the world community. Lifting the restrictions might lead to closer relations with the U.S. instead of Cuba getting closer with Venezuela and Russia.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 08:50 AM

I want a vacation in Cuba if 'n when they do.
    I think it WAS a beautiful place at one time. Hopefully it can be restored and not so oppressed.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    travel out of the U.S. to Cuba was a common thing, what would be the pros and cons? Would it help or hurt The U.S. or the Cubans?
    Hello boat:

Freedom helps everybody. They can get parts for their '55 Chevy's and we can get good cigars.

excon

PS> Oh yeah, N0 can go on vacation too.
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 12:00 PM

Freedom helps everybody

Without a doubt it does.

I see a serious cost in the long run to U.S. taxpayers in the states if Cuba becomes a player in the tourist industry and manufacturing industry.

If it was opened up to the point that they allowed some of our manufacturing industry to move there then there will be I feel a HUGE cost to taxpayers in the States.

I for one would love to visit Cuba.. I was told WE can legally go there but need to leave from Canada. I was also told you can go there as Americans (off base) but can't spend U.S. money legally there
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 12:13 PM

If they don't
    The companies will just move elsewhere anyway.
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

May 19, 2009, 11:12 PM

Living in the bull's eye of it all, here are the pros:
    It allows Cubans in Florida to freely visit their families, and provide economic relief for them.
    The island can once again establish itself as a economic player in the Latin American world.
    Cons: Those Cubans, that left when this started, want their old properties back. Obviously, they cannot get them, and the Cuban Government is in no condition to offer reparations.
    There's no guarantee that the Cuban Government will not back peddle and go back to being a Communist regime.
    The "Old Guard" on Calle Ocho (8Th Street, in Miami,) is really upset about the normalization of relations. They are writing, and screaming about it on T.V. and the papers.
    Personally I do hope that the travel restrictions get lifted completely. I feel sorry for people, who because of B.S. can't see their loved ones.
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 11:45 PM

They can get parts for their '55 Chevy's and we can get good cigars.
    We still get Cuban cigars here no matter what.. Duh. Its much easier then smuggling in coke/pot etc.

As far as the cars the transportation system is so bad that its not uncommon for a local to hop in a police car for a ride. The bus system is basically defunked.

What I see economically is a disaster to the U.S. in residual cost to tax payers if Cuba opens up to allow US to build manufacturing plants there. It will cost Billions in tax payer money.

The simple reasons goes back to Puerto Rico. There are HUGE U.S. manufacturing Drug companies in P.R. along with the car building industry etc. P.R. is already in the 65% of 4 million people on some type of Government assistances. If the U.S. main land relocates Puerto Rico plants to Cuba Be ready for a serious tax hike across the U.S. Cuba is 60 miles off Florida verses over a 1,000 miles shipping from Puerto Rico.

Now imagine the total collapse In Puerto Rico. Add Puerto Rico is wanting Equal parity for assistance like it's a state since obama promised it to them.

This would and is going to add 2.8 billion dollars more of the 255 million we send in assistance now. Not to mention the 15 billion annually sent there already.

So in essence we trade Cuba for Puerto Rico . The other difference there is Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. and on Gov assistance in most of there economy.

Since P.R. is part of the US and the manufactures pay taxes to the U.S. add the revenue tax loss on the manf product not going to the U.S. or Puerto Rico..

So we end Up with a mini China in labor cost to build our products and 1/100th less the cost in shipping to the U.S. and in turn ruin what's left of an economy in Puerto Rico and foot the bill basically for ever there form here from that impact..

Puerto Rico is in jeopardy here if Obama talks Cuba into opening up its island for U.S. manufacturing there. Lets compare PR to Ireland in population and economy at its present state. Ireland population is almost exactly what Puerto Rico is.
    Ireland http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...ion_of_Ireland
    Puerto Rico http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico

Ireland's economy stats http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...omy-world-news
    Puerto Rico 65% is on U.S. Gov Assistance before the economy collapse in the U.S.. . So if Cuba completely opens up in time then PR will become a TOTAL Welfare island we will pay for out of our U.S. tax dollars.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laughing Dance Song. No lyrics. From Cuba? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to figure out the name of this dance song that a resort in Cuba was playing all week when I was there last month. It had a dance beat, and the whole song was someone laughing hysterically and sneezing a few times. It was the weirdest song but so funny. I asked the guy at the resort...

Finding hotel in cuba where my friends are [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My friends went to Cuba on Tuesday but since than I don't know anything about them.Their phoner are off,they don't reply on e mails... simple nothing! I am little bit in worry because we don't know anything about that country.How can I find out the name of hotel or resort where they are,to...

Cuba in August? [ 2 Answers ]

How is Cuba in August? What about the Dominican Republic? Is it a good/bad idea to visit the country in August? Anyone been there in August? Thank you all. :)

Rare old horror movie I saw in Cuba [ 1 Answers ]

I saw a movie when I was around 7 or 8 (in Cuba) I'm 34 now.It was my first horror movie and it became very famous in my country. I think it was British but I might be wrong.There was a blond woman who is murdered and then she came back with a mask (like decomposed face) hunting men. One of the...

View more questions Search