Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBJillian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 01:28 PM
    21 years-old... am I emancipated?
    I am almost 20 years-old, and I live in Indiana. I was accepted to my college of choice with a scholarship, but they expect a certain "family contribution," which my parents do not have. Will I be automatically emancipated from my parents when I turn 21? I would be able to receive the money I need for school if my financial aid was based upon my income. If I do not become legally emancipated at 21, what process do I need to follow to become emancipated?
    I am at the end of my rope. I would be unbelievably grateful if someone would supply me with some information.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2006, 08:18 PM
    If you do not live with your parents and do not receive any financial support from them, then sign an affidavit to that effect and have it notarized. You may want to enlist the help of an attorney or notary in drafting it. Also consult with your college's office of financial assistance.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2006, 02:55 PM
    At 21 you are an adult by law. However, for college financial aid your parents may still need to fill out some forms saying that you do or do not live with them, that they do or do not support you. I was 32 when I went back to college and married for 7 years and my Father still had to fill out those papers. Rather nonsensical I thought. But yuur tax statements would give your address and if you claim yourself as a dependent and no one else claims you for that year, that helps to prove you are on your own. But get some legal advice - call a Legal Assistance Agency in your state. They might give the advice free even. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to know if you will die in 4 years? [ 17 Answers ]

OK me neither but anyway I heard about this on the news how a study came up with a survey for older adults to determine you chance of living beyond 4 years. I did some searches and found a site offering the survey: http://www.clinicallyinformed.com/health_survey.php I was luckily under 4% but my...

Been together for 7 years. [ 2 Answers ]

I have been with my fiancée for 7 years and now I have recently found out that he had cheated on me with 3 different girls. We have 3 beautifull daughters and I currently don't work. When I found out the details two of the chicks were when I was living with my folks out of state for a while and...

So what that we are 30 years apart! [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend is 60 and I'm 30. We have been together for 2 happy years. My family is OK with the 30 year age diffrence but it is the public that seems to have the problem. When people look at us right in the face rudley should I say something or just enjoy being with the man I love. It's hard......

View more questions Search