Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caritae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Inexpensive divorce while incarcerated
    Can I file for a divorce in my local newspaper in the state of Virginia for free?
    fh513 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0
    -

Apr 25, 2009, 07:42 AM
    What do you mean by that? To file a divorce in the local newspaper in virginia? Please clarify. All I know you can apply for legal assistance for the divorce.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 10:58 AM

You file for divorce in court. You do not file for divorce in a newspaper. Sometimes, if the other party cannot be found, you can serve them with notice through the paper, but that has to be approved by the court.

Have you spoken to legal aid yet?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 12:27 PM

Yes, using the "newspaper" is the most expensive way normallly, since the cost just to post as required can be 1000's of dollars.

But this is only a form of service, the actual divorce has to come though the court

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce while incarcerated [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend of four years is currently incarcerated at Cape Vincent correctional facility and we would like to know how he can get a divorce from his wife in Georgia. Cape Vincent is located in New York.

Getting a divorce for someone incarcerated [ 2 Answers ]

My brother's wife has recently been incarcerated since Nov. 27th. She is on a no bond situation and goes before the grand jury on 1/22/09. They have a 6 year old son and he wants to divorce her and take the child. She is being charged with reckless endangerment as she took a 45 caliber gun and...

Divorce while incarcerated [ 3 Answers ]

How can a person that is incarcerated get a divorce? Do you know what it would cost and how do they go about getting the proper paperwork?

Divorce while incarcerated [ 1 Answers ]

Cana person get a divorce while incarcerated? IF so how can you start this? Are there forms that can filed? Thanks

Divorce while incarcerated? [ 2 Answers ]

How can you get a divorce while incarcerated? Is it true that I can ask for a divorce in the local newspaper and if they don't answer, we are divorced?

View more questions Search