Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needadvice1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 06:59 AM
    Removal of order of protection after not guilty verdict
    I was arrested for domestic violence 2 counts and a order of protection followed. Another hearing followed and it was extended for 2 years ( based on lies and recent arrest ).
    I fought the charges and went to trial and was found not guilty. Can I now have the protection order removed because it was based on arrest that was not my fault ? HELP
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 07:24 AM

What do you hope to accomplish?
    To have it off your record or to be able to see her without having the order hanging over your head?
    Does she want to see you too?

Apr 25, 2009, 08:04 AM

I have been with her and the kids back at the house off and on over the past 3 months but the OOP has caused major friction and has been used as a threat to try and control me. There is more if responses warrant .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 09:12 AM

Hello need:

I don't need more. She's ready to call the cops if you don't buckle under. This is a catastrophe waiting to happen. I don't know what to DO about it. I just know it ain't going to end well.

From a legal standpoint, which was your question, after all, I don't think you can get the OOP removed. It's a civil order, so whether you were or weren't convicted on the underlying criminal matter, doesn't change the complexion of the OOP.

Is anybody undergoing counseling, like anger management? Look. I don't know who hit who. I don't care. But without intervention, somebody is going to get hit again, and somebody is going to jail.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 11:13 AM

Unless the protection order has a end date, you have to go to court, the not guility may not be enough, but a history of no issue and the girlfriend testifying would be enough.

But she is trying to blackmail you, do you really want that to b e a person you are with

Apr 25, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Unless the protection order has a end date, you have to go to court, the not guility may not be enough, but a history of no issue and the girlfriend testifying would be enough.

But she is trying to blackmail you, do you really want that to b e a person you are with

The end date is 2 years and I have a mortgage on a newly built home that I cannot live in or even set foot in without the risk of jail. We are married for 10+ years and it has been very trying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Order Of Protection [ 10 Answers ]

How can I change or get rid of an Order Of Protection??

How to get rid of an order of protection that you are not guilty of! [ 5 Answers ]

My roommate and I were the best friends ever... we moved in together. One day she gets all pissy with me and starts texting m y ex. Which I hadn't spoken to in almost 2 weeks. We both just knew it would never work... and my best friend wasn't ever friends with him. They started bashing me behind my...

Order of protection [ 1 Answers ]

I filed an application on my boyfriend because we got in a fight.. now how do I get rid of the order of protection?

Bogus Order of protection [ 6 Answers ]

I also had a bogus order of protection filed against me by an ex girlfriend. I am worried about my reputation as it is public information and basically if you search my name in case.net I come up as a stalker. I am married, my wife doesn't know about this, I sell real estate, etc... also, I've...

Order of protection [ 4 Answers ]

I have been served an order of protection in Illinois, I will appear in court for this, but what can happen to me.This was an affair, me being the single one, I believe this is her attempt to hide much of our relationship from her spouse and lie about true things that happened between us. Their was...

View more questions Search