Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drayel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 05:48 PM
    how to change title frommobile home to dwelling
    Hello, I was wondering how would I go about changing the title or deed of my home from mobile home to single family dwelling? It is on a block foundation with a full basement, also it has a gable roof and one 33 ft x 10 ft addition and a 20 ft x 10 ft addition. It can not be moved without destroying it. Is there a form to fill out? Thank you Drayel
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2009, 05:54 PM

You need to talk to the county assessor's office.
    Xyzpdq0121 Posts: 85, Reputation: 6

Apr 25, 2009, 05:10 AM

You can not change the title from a Mobile home to a SFR "stick built" dwelling. Your home is what it is. You can not call a duck a chicken just because you taught it to cluck instead of quack. HUD requires the wheels to be removed and it to be on a foundation for lending purposes, but it is still called a Mobile home. Your home still has, and will always have, a DOT plaque on it. All, or part, of the structure is Mobile... You own a moble home. You are stuck with that classification.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2009, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzpdq0121 View Post
    You can not change the title from a Mobile home to a SFR "stick built" dwelling.
    I certainly won't disagree that's it unlikely the classification can be changed. But it doesn't hurt to try. Properties are classified and assessed by the your local equivalent of a tax asssessor. Contact that office and see what's involved.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 12:06 PM

And the issue of where, if the "home" was changed and modified to such a point that it would no longer be considered as such, it has been possible in some areas. I have seen it in OK before and also in TN. But there were so many additions, that no real mobile home was even visible.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 01:42 PM

I worked at a manufactured home/modular home dealer. Yes, you CAN go to the county and have your title converted into a real estate deed for this home. The fact it is on a brick foundation is the real key here. If the home is on a full basement or approved crawl space the home can be deeded into the real estate. You need to check with your county to see if your county allows this. Some counties insist that the home be at least 1,200 sq ft in order to qualify.

And no, you will not be stuck with a mobile home designation forever. But it will be hard to get any financing on this home in the future unless the lender takes a look at the county and sees that this home has had it's designation changed into a real estate situation where the home is tied into the land.

If the home was a modular home, it would never had a real title in the first place and would have automatically been tied into the real estate deed.

You will have to surrender the original title to the County recorder's office in order to accomplish this redesignation though. So you should have the original title. If the bank holds the original and you do not own the house outright there may be a problem in changing this at the county though.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzpdq0121 View Post
    You can not change the title from a Mobile home to a SFR "stick built" dwelling. Your home is what it is. You can not call a duck a chicken just because you taught it to cluck instead of quack. HUD requires the wheels to be removed and it to be on a foundation for lending purposes, but it is still called a Mobile home. Your home still has, and will always have, a DOT plaque on it. All, or part, of the structure is Mobile... You own a moble home. You are stuck with that classification.
    A mobile home does not have a DOT plaque on it. It has a HUD plaque on it. And yes, the home in most instances can be converted into real estate and tied into the land. In Ohio this can be accomplished as long as certain criteria has been met. And from what I've read in trade magazines, this can be accomplished in other parts of the country as well.

A HUD code mobile home can be placed literally anywhere. In a park or on private property. The wheels are not required to be removed from the axles either. We installed many homes where the wheels and axels were left on the home in many instances. It has nothing to do with lending purposes either as all the homeowner would need to do is locate a home mover and the mover would just put new wheels and/or axles on the home and move it.

The wheels and axles would be removed however, if the home was to be set on a full basement or approved crawlspace. It would make no sense to keep either on the home.
    Morethanuknow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You need to talk to the county assessor's office.
    Thanks for the clue where to go

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Title to mobile home and title to land is separate can it be sold on one deed [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into the country in a mobile home and started renting then a year later we decided to purchase the land and mobile home on contract. We have paid taxes and insurance on it. 2 years later we find the person selling it to us does not have the title to mobile home just to land. Does he have...

Legal title change to home [ 2 Answers ]

I live with my husband in a home that he purchased BEFORE we got married. I would like to be a legal owner of this home with my husband, how do I legally accomplish this ? Who do I go to to perform this service ? I need this information to confirm what I already may know. I say this because I have...

Dwelling on the past [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone well I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years now and we are like best friends. Except for one issue when we first started dating I felt the need to lie to him and tell him I had sex previously, I made the story up about a few guys and I think I did it becases I thought at the time he...

Want to Change Home title [ 1 Answers ]

My business partner and I own a home together (that is collateral to the business loan), but it is titled in only my name since she was in the military when we acquired it. Now that she is retired we want to change the title to tenants in common with right of survivor ship... what steps do I take...

View more questions Search