Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vhouston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2004, 10:17 AM
    Third party software for windows nt to read fat32
    Hello,
    Can you tell me what third party software is used for windows nt to read fat32??
    Gkhster Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2004, 04:35 PM
    Re: third party software for windows nt to read fa
    Microsoft's answer is that you can't.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;214404

That said, there is a driver available from sysinternals.com that might do the trick for you.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/fat32.shtml

Be careful not to make your BOOT partition into FAT32. This driver is not available during the boot process. NT would probably never boot again!

Follow carefully the directions on the site. Data loss is a very painful thing.

There is contradictory information on their site about the partition being read/write and read-only. You'll want to test that right off. I think the confusion on their site is that they used to sell a full version. The read only version was a demo. Now they claim everything is freeware. Let us know what you find out!

All that said, I recommend that you back up everything before going further. Also, I am not certain that I'd want to put mission critical (or even household critical) data into this scenario.

Finally, if you like your data, you may wish to start planing to upgrade to Win2k or XP which both handle FAT32, FAT16, and NTFS volumes natively.

I hope that this helps.

Guy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ntfs vs fat32 [ 4 Answers ]

Just bought the 100GB version of this external hard drive: http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/portable It's formatted Fat32. I'm not finding differences that mean anything to me here, or at other comparison websites. Is there a benefit to my reformatting it as NTFS? Thanks!

Upgrading Windows ME (FAT32) without formatting the hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I recently bought my wife an Ipod Nano and it requires Windows 2000 w/ SP4 (or higher) to run the iTunes software. I ordered the Service Pack 4 and when it arrived, I put in the disk and the directions said that I couldn't load SP4 to the ME OS (it would have to be loaded to Windows 2000). I was...

CD will not read with XP windows [ 1 Answers ]

I used to have windows 2000 on HP and upgraded it to XP windows a year ago. As a result of the upgrade, my CD ROM will not read a disc at all. It did not bother me before but now it bothers me because I have a digital camera and I need to download the software with a CD. The CD icon shows up...

Fat32 to ntfs? [ 3 Answers ]

I installed windows XP and I have Norton 2004. When I try to use the Norton Disk Doctor, it won't allow me to. I think I have a FAT32 and not NTFS. I cannot even use scandisk. If I convert fat32 to NTFS will I be able to run these programs that I am trying to run? My second question is how to...

Why is NTFS better then FAT32? [ 2 Answers ]

Will there be some programs or hardware that I can't use if I convert my system from a FAT32 to NTFS? I currently am running windows xp professional. I had windows 98SE and then I f-disked and formated and did a full install of XP.

View more questions Search