Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaducker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Pulling 100 amps of main 200 amp service
    I'm pulling 100 amps off my main house 200 amp service to my new Garage. It is an indoor run of 70 feet. What size wire do I need? Copper or Aluminum? How many conductors? If I run it in the joist space do I need to case it? Thanks Ron
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 24, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaducker View Post
    What size wire do I need? That depends
    Copper or Aluminum? Either
    How many conductors? Four
    If I run it in the joist space do I need to case it? What does "case it" mean?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 06:18 PM

Hey bet "case it" means enclose in conduit. The answer is no.

Aluminum is usually cheaper, but it requires extra care and anti-oxidizing paste.

Apr 24, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Hey bet "case it" means enclose in conduit. The answer is no.
    Yeah, I know. It's just the OP is once again so vague we would be guessing at most answers.

If cable is run no conduit is required.
    If individual conductors are run then yes, conduit is required.

Apr 24, 2009, 07:22 PM

Case it? Yes I was talking about conduit. I live in Hugo MN. Someone told me I could not use aluminum indoor. Is that true? Ron
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 07:53 PM

Aluminum can be used indoors unless your state expressly forbids it.

Apr 25, 2009, 03:49 AM
    Aluminum or Copper 100 amp indoor service Minnesota
    I am pulling 100 amps from my 200 amps home main service to an attached garage sub panel. I have been told that I cannot use aluminum wire. Is that true? I had planned to use #2 aluminum wire. Now I'm told to use #4 copper with #6 ground.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 04:22 AM
    Did a search for Minnesota Electric Code and found this:

Electrical codes and standards information

What an awesome site, easy to find, all the information regarding the electrical trade needed is there. Much better than some states.

I found this:
    http://www.electricity.state.mn.us/pdf/20000331_2.pdf

Explains about aluminum wire, no where does it state is is not allowed.

Then I found this;
    http://www.electricity.state.mn.us/p..._and_rules.pdf

Seems to be the actual statutes, aluminum is not even found in the entire document.

Looks to me that aluminum is allowed.

Who did you get your information from? Clerk at hardware store? Some do it yourselfer?

Start by applying for a homeowners permit:
    http://www.electricity.state.mn.us/p...owner_form.pdf

While I find that the homeowner APPLIES for the permit, I find NO mention of ALLOWING homeowner to do their own electrical work.

Contact someone at the state:
    Minnesota Electrical Licensing and Inspection

And ask them the questions you have, and you will get the true and accurate information.

Apr 25, 2009, 04:29 AM
    You already have this exact thread going. WHY start a new one??

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ml#post1690268
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 05:12 AM
    Followup:

Seems homeowners are allowed to do their own work, "within strict limitations", as found here:

http://www.electricity.state.mn.us/p...t_brochure.pdf

And the actual statute referred to:
    https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/...es/?id=326B.31

You really should contact the state AND local inspectors to learn the process of doing your own work, and any requirements or waivers of the National code.

While aluminum wire may be allowed, which is fine, there are issues with connections and terminations, and these must be done correctly.

Typically, you should be able to use #2 aluminum 4 wire SER cable , for a 100 amp residential feeder, and follow the manufacturer's installation instructions for terminations.

Conduit will be needed where the wiring may be subjected to physical damage. You may or may not be able to recognize where this may occur. Inspector will find it and make you install in conduit. Better to plan this out, learn what will be required and install it properly the first time.

One issue is, inspectors DO NOT design your system, many will not offer advice, some will, they will pass or deny based on what they see and based on code.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reduction of amps from main pole to workshop [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to figure out how I can reduce my 200 amp service down to 100 amps for my workshop. The panel in the workshop is rated at 100 amps and the only place that I can tie in is a 200 amp ON/OFF main shutoff just underneath the meter can on my service pole. BTW, I still have to carry...

Hepl-95 Accord CEL constant-#8 of main relay not pulling down to ground [ 5 Answers ]

I have checked the main relay. All is well. Grounds are good for the ECU. Power is good for the ecu. The CEL does not go out, fuel pump does not get +12v(#8 of main relay not pulling down from +12V), CEL on when jumper put in-no flash codes, +5V reference is on at sensors, +12V is on at...

12 Amps on Water Main! [ 9 Answers ]

I've got a problem with the grounding in my neighborhood, and I need some help in getting the right solution. I noticed high EMF throughout much of my house, even with all appliances turned off. I shut off all power to the house at the main breaker, and there was no improvement in the...

200 amp main service panel [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning on upgrading my main service panel (in basement) to a 200 amp service, I want to put a 100 amp sub-panel to the attic for central air and all the lighting on the second floor(about 18 hi-hats and 4 fans). From the 100 amp sub in attic I also want to run a 50 amp breaker feeding a...

Main Service Panel needs [ 9 Answers ]

I ran across this site accidentally today and found someone who had many of the same issues I need help with. Most of my questions were answered reading the forum however I have one more, using the following information I am hoping someone can help. The existing house is apx. 2300 sq ft w/a 200...

View more questions Search