Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jen_s_70 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Medical Records from Pregnancy
    How can the father and/or the grandmother get the medical records of the mother while she was pregnant?

My son was told in June that his girlfriends was pregnant. Therefore in August he married her. During this time her due date changed from march 30 to march 7 to April 19. My son never got to go to any doctor appts. On the morning of April 20 (full term supposedly) she called me to say that she had a blight ovum and that the baby had been dead for 6 to 8 weeks. Now we want to know that true about what is and or has been going on. My son had never felt the baby move either and thought it was a lie all along.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 03:25 PM

As far as I know, you can't. Those medical records are hers, and won't be given to you or anyone else without her express permission. You'd be pretty horrified if she asked for and got your records to check if you had a genetic disease you might pass to her baby. Even though she was pregnant with your son's baby, the records still relate to her, not the baby.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 03:30 PM

No one is entitled to look at anyone's medical records.
    There are strict confidentiality laws that are put in place to protect everyone.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 24, 2009, 03:38 PM
    Unless the girl signs a release letting you have a copy of the medical records, you can't see them. They are protected information... doctor/patient privilege.
    pathisfer Posts: 94, Reputation: 22

Apr 24, 2009, 03:59 PM
    According to the information you gave, this girl was 11 months pregnant yet your son thinks the pregnancy was a lie? What does he think her condition was, bloating? Even though the baby had died, in order to get it out, she would still have to give birth to it, was there no funeral? I'm sure she didn't drive herself to the hospital for this procedure! I'm sorry, this story doesn't add up.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 24, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Not to mention that a blighted ovum is found early in pregnancy. A blighted ovum does not produce a baby, so there is no giving birth and there is no funeral, usually a D&C is performed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone forged my signature to obtain my medical records. [ 1 Answers ]

Some one forged my signature to obtain my medical records and are using the information for personal gain and deformation of my character. This person is also going to school to become a medical billing agent. Who do I contact to pursue legal action against this person and be assured that they do...

Mailing medical records [ 4 Answers ]

I recently left a message at my physicians office requesting results from my recent labwork I had done. I later found out that my Actual Medical Records were mailed out to me, but I did not get them because they were sent to the wrong address. I didn't think that they were even allowed to mail out...

Medical Records forgery [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for a medical practice in medical records and the physician would require us to alter records to prevent any legal action against him. What avenue can I pursue to turn him in for this?

Re medical Records request [ 10 Answers ]

This is complicated and I'm not sure the best way to proceed. My old roommate had Surgery at a LI hospital in about 1995 or 1996. She never got her records or Pathology. She moved back to the caribbean island she came from. She ended up With surgery but they mis-diagnosed her. She has no...

Medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does HIPPA affect the person to have access to their medical records?

View more questions Search