Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    computerguy_86 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2004, 07:44 AM
    98SE/2000 Dual Boot
    I'm thinking about making my AMD, 333MHz, IBM Aptiva a dual boot machine. 98SE/2000
    Specs.
    144 MB Ram
    6GB Hard Drive
    Will my computer handle it?.
    How much disk space does 2000 need?
    Should I download a boot manager?
    Does Windows 2000 come with a dual-boot menu?
    What does file system does Win2000 have to use? FAT, FAT32, NTFS?
    Does Win2000 have to be installed first?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I've 'fdisk'ed to create two drive letters. A 3GB 'C' drive and a 3GB 'D' drive. I set the 'C' drive to be the active partition and installed Windows 98SE on the 'C' drive. Any ideas on how to go about making it a dual boot computer? Can I just go into fdisk options, set 'D' as active, install Win2000 on the 'D' drive. And then boot? And manually change action partition when I want the opposite OS. Any help would be great. Thank you.
    Sparda Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2004, 04:18 PM
    Re: 98SE/2000 Dual Boot
    Yes your Computer will handel it (only just),
    Windows 2000 uses 1.5GB's of disk space (aprox)
    No you don't need a boot manager as if you install win98 first (which I suggest you do) win2000 set up will ask you if you want to update win98 or use another directory for win2000, if you use the update it will basically remove win98 and only 2000 will be avalabel, you will want to tell it to use there other partion, this way it will give you a choice of your OS's on start up, so no you should install win98 first.
    Win98 can use FAT and FAT32 and Win2000 can use FAT, FAT32 and NTFS, when your installing it you will want to tell 2000 to use fat32 so win98 can access the win2000 partion, OK I Help ;D bye (please thank me)
    computerguy_86 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2004, 07:25 PM
    A big thanks to Sparda
    Thank you. I am currently running Win98se/2000Pro. Time for a bigger hard drive. BTW I now have 256MB of RAM. A DVD player, and a straight cd burner. Sorry I took so long to thank you. I hope you get this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My computer won't dual boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my computer not dual booting. I had windows xp installed and then I installed unbuntu linux. I don't know what went wrong but know when I start my computer it will go dirrectly and boot in linux. It won't give an option to choose windows or linux. I did not reformat...

No dual boot prompt for linux [ 2 Answers ]

I was having windows98 installed on my system(celeron 500MHz processor ,64MB RAM). I recently installed red hat 7.3 on my system.the installation was successful.I used lilo as my boot loader. The problem that I am facing is after starting my system , instead of asking to choose a os(dual...

Win 98se back to win 98 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, Does anybody know if it is possible to backout an installation of win 98se. A friend of mine installed a USB hub on his win 98 machine and when asked for the drivers he inserted a win 98se disk and the machine tried to go through the upgrade procedure. At some point this upgrade...

Dual boot problem [ 13 Answers ]

Have win.xp home-SP2.pent 4,1.6.40g HD, 512 ram.a2nd-HD, 100GIG.Idid clean install of xp then using norton ghost cloned it over to 2nd HD.Also have partition commander to give doul boot,iwould like to save c:drive as a back up.useing my d: 100 g.for every day use. The problem I have is when I down...

Dual boot [ 3 Answers ]

I was dual booting win 2000 and xp then I removed 2000 but when my computer boots the message select the operating system to start still apears how do I get rid of this

View more questions Search