Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessicaavid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 04:25 AM
    Caregiver compensation for an ALS patient
    Trying to find out if there is anyway to get monetary assistance for me or my husband. We take care of my father in law who is currently living with the later stages of ALS. His condition demands 24 hour complete care, since he can not move any part of his body at all and can not eat, breathe, or talk on his own. This job is too big for just one of us so it has demanded that we both quit our jobs and stay home with him fulltime. We are the only ones that understand how to take care of him or that can understand how to communicate with him via his eye movements, most of the time it takes the both of us to do some of the things that he needs. We also just had a baby- as if our lives were not busy or stressed out enough, but are having difficulty paying for the things that we need using the little bit of Social Security that my father in law receives. Most of which go to pay the bills and his medical supplies which are extremely expensive. We do receive food stamps and have medicare but this alone only pays for a portion of what we need. I am getting more and more in debt and running out of solutions. Any suggestions? Thanks you for any help you can give.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 05:54 PM

I know there is a program in the state I live in.
    I don't know the name of the organization.
    You could try asking Social Security.
    I will ask one of the people I know that is in the program.
    jessicaavid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 12:37 PM

Thanks - I will ask the social security office- now that I have an idea. You would think this information would be more available especially since I am from Texas. I will also [post the information I receive hopefully it will help others like me
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 01:08 PM

Check with the village, township, and especially the county. In Illinois, each has all sorts of programs to help the homebound and their caregivers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caregiver compensation [ 7 Answers ]

Since 2000 I have overseen my elderly mother's care. She is completely dependent on me. Have moved her more than once a year as she declined, bring her to my home a full day each week, take care of all dr appts etc, do finances. My sis, who lives in another state does not contribute or visit. In...

Caregiver in a will [ 2 Answers ]

My aunt had taken care of my grandmother from July 06 till jan 09,she worked full time the 1st yr,and also babysat her grand daughter the last 6 months. I am in Ontario canada. She and my brother are both executors to the will. She wants to make a claim against the will and knows she must step...

Is there compensation for a caregiver? [ 5 Answers ]

My elderly and disabled mother is moving in with my family, am I eligible for any compensation from the city, state, or government for her care? I live in Milwaukee, WI and I do not know where to start looking for information. I tried the social services website, but got nothing. If anyone has...

Can a caregiver run a blog? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm a live-in caregiver. I just started a personal blog and a friend of mine told me I can register and put adsense to generate income out of it. I'm restricted to only one employer.

View more questions Search