Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missyp01 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 10:07 PM
    Nurses attitudes on life
    Why do nurses have to be so judgemental on life they don't know?
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Apr 23, 2009, 10:09 PM

Why do people have to assume that all nurses are the same?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 11:22 PM

Sometimes nurses have bad days. Imagine working with a bunch of sick people, it's not the best atmosphere. Sometimes people are plain out rude because of the pain they are in- other times they are just there to score some free pills. It's not always negative but nurses also have to avoid making emotional connections with their patients- yes they do care that you get well but they're not going to become your best friend, and it's not to be taken to any offense. Imagine becoming emotionally attached to someone that just dies the next day- having to go through that several times a month would just kill you.

No matter where you go there will always be people that will answer your questions briefly and just want the facts. Whether it be a mechanic, a IT tech or even a pet groomer.

If what you mean is nurses with bad attitudes, everyone has had at least one experience. A bad attitude does not necessarily mean they are a bad nurse- it just means they're in the wrong profession!

Sarah
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 11:39 PM

I'm wondering what you mean by "judgmental" on life.

Like mudweiser said, doctors and nurses deal with patients dying on them on a daily basis, and thus because of this, they have to find a way to detach themselves and make "death" a regular part of their life.

And like Nestorian said, some are better at connecting to you emotionally about death, while others are just plain cold about it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 24, 2009, 04:33 AM
    I have a feeling she is talking about my answer to her question here...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/nursin...ld-345386.html
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 06:52 AM

Oh, if that's the case...

OHHHH I reread the question and it makes sense now.

Nurses are judgmental on life of those they don't know...

... mainly because you have a drug misdemeanor... theft misdemeanor... and drunk and disorderly misdemeanor.

... so knowing THAT much, even though you may volunteer at soup kitchens and have given everything you own away to charity...

... you still can't be around drugs and sick people. Sorry.

Apr 24, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missyp01 View Post
    why do nurses have to be so judgemental on life they dont know?
    "a) You abused drugs and nurses have to deal with drugs constantly;
    b) You were a thief, so you cannot be trusted NOT to steal the drugs; and
    c) You were drunk and disorderly, so you cannot be trusted to come to work sober, stay away from the drugs, and might possibly abuse patients in one way or another.

I know you may be trying to turn your life around, but this is how the medical field looks at convictions such as this."-J_9

That is not Judgemental, that's her being real with you about how the health care system, and society views your "misdemeanors". Hence the "...this is how the medical field looks at convictions such as this."-J_9

Try looking into something like counseling or social work, its similar, but you may have a chance in that. I've know several social workers who had sketchy pasts. They cleaned up and turned it all around. They acctually seem to have a better grasp of situations as they know what it's like being the "other guy".

It sucks but society is like that. Once you get a record, it clouds everything. Good luck in changing your life.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 02:12 PM

We don't pull any punches when we answer questions on this post. This is not a "feel good" site, sorry. We like to give folks the most honest and truthful answer to their question so hopefully it will save them a lot of time and maybe money finding out things for themselves. If you wanted a "feel good" answer, this is definitely not the site to come to as we simply won't do that.

Apr 24, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    We don't pull any punches when we answer questions on this post. This is not a "feel good" site, sorry. We like to give folks the most honest and truthful answer to their question so hopefully it will save them a lot of time and maybe money finding out things for themselves. If you wanted a "feel good" answer, this is definitely not the site to come to as we simply won't do that.
    ?? :confused:??
    Expert

Apr 24, 2009, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestorian View Post
    ???:confused:???
    Twinkie was responding to my little slap on the wrist by the OP for telling her EXACTLY how the medical field works.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 04:55 PM
    Possibly because their eyes have seen so much and based on your circumstances they can almost predict what lies ahead in the near future for the patient.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 05:31 PM

If it were not for the keen judgment of nurses we would be in a very sorry state and I am hoping that was your reason to want to do one of the toughest jobs out there!

I have been hospitalized with surgeries a few times and the nurses and have had occasion other times to be in the care.I had great baby nurses who showed me how to breastfeed in unique ways.They were always there with help and knowing.I can't tell you how many hats a nurse wears and they wear them well.

I think it is sad that you may not get the opportunity to work in your chosen field but I think you have already been given some alternatives.

J9 works every day or night shift,not sure and then of her own free time comes on here to volunteer and help people.Believe me,she knows her stuff and she is taking time to help.

Judgment yes,judgmental no.

I wish there was more good judgment around!
    Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 07:57 PM
    You know. Sometimes it's hard NOT to be judgmental. I work 7pm-7am in labor and delivery. When I have a patient that comes in bleeding profusely from the vagina at 36 weeks pregnant, and is having a placental abruption because she just did some meth... the baby dies... the patient sues ME. :eek:

What, did I manufacture that meth that killed her baby or did I save the mother's life?

How about the patients that are discharged with specific orders and given phone numbers to call if there is a problem with the mother and the baby, then the baby gets sick because the mother was diluting the formula with water so that the formula would last longer, then I get sued because the baby got sick within a few days of discharge? What about those patients?

Yes, I tend to be judgmental when that drug addicted patient comes in and expects a perfectly health baby, but rather gets one that is in withdrawal or has physical anomalies because of the lifestyle and blames it on me.

You would be judgmental too.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You know. Sometimes it's hard NOT to be judgmental. I work 7pm-7am in labor and delivery. When I have a patient that comes in bleeding profusely from the vagina at 36 weeks pregnant, and is having a placental abruption because she just did some meth.....the baby dies....the patient sues ME. :eek:

What, did I manufacture that meth that killed her baby or did I save the mother's life?

How about the patients that are discharged with specific orders and given phone numbers to call if there is a problem with the mother and the baby, then the baby gets sick because the mother was diluting the formula with water so that the formula would last longer, then I get sued because the baby got sick within a few days of discharge? What about those patients?

Yes, I tend to be judgmental when that drug addicted patient comes in and expects a perfectly health baby, but rather gets one that is in withdrawal or has physical anomolies because of the lifestyle and blames it on me.

Standing Ovation! J-9 You said it all!
    Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Standing Ovation!! J-9 You said it all!
    Sorry, got to spread the love. I would love to give you another bright shiny greenie, but I'm still growing more in the garden.

Thanks Arty, I really had to respond to why we can be judgmental at times.
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You know. Sometimes it's hard NOT to be judgmental. I work 7pm-7am in labor and delivery. When I have a patient that comes in bleeding profusely from the vagina at 36 weeks pregnant, and is having a placental abruption because she just did some meth.....the baby dies....the patient sues ME. :eek:

Yes, I tend to be judgmental when that drug addicted patient comes in and expects a perfectly health baby, but rather gets one that is in withdrawal or has physical anomolies because of the lifestyle and blames it on me.

j9 you are a human being with a natural desire to care for people and that is what made you go into nursing and I hear you. I graduated from nursing 3 years ago, I'm working on my master in nursing presently. I would like to say that the profession on a hole is difficult, I spent most of my time working in the nnicu, where I saw premies hooked up to a million wires and crying their eyes out because mom did hard drugs throughout the pregnancy.
    It's a sight that tears your heart out. It's because of this I switched to community nursing and now I visit moms and their babes @ home, less stressful and I play with babies all day long. Truth of the matter is soon situations warrant empathy and others being firm is the best approach.

Keep doing your work in the hospital and on amhd, your input is appreciated in both environments.
    Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lighterrr View Post
    j9 you are a human being with a natural desire to care for poeple and that is what made you go into nursing and i hear you. I graduated from nursing 3 years ago, im working on my master in nursing presently. I would like to say that the profession on a hole is diffcult, i spent most of my time workin in the nnicu, where i saw premies hooked up to a million wires and crying their eyes out because mom did hard drugs throughout the pregnancy.
    It's a sight that tears your heart out. It's because of this i switched to community nursing and now i visit moms and their babes @ home, less stressful and i play with babies all day long. truth of the matter is soon situations warrent empathy and others being firm is the best approach.

keep doing your work in the hospital and on amhd, your input is appreciated in both environments.
    Thank you Light. I hadn't a clue you were in nursing also. I don't know that I could handle NNICU, you are a strong person. That explains some of your answers. Empathy is a good thing. Not many people possess the ability to be empathetic.

I have empathy for the patient who lost their fetus through no wrong doing, and I sit in their bed and cry along with them. But when it comes to those that, a recent patient, G12 P1, lose 11 children due to drug abuse, you become less than empathetic. It's hard, really hard. While we can be judgmental, we cannot allow the patient to know that we are. That is something that we must carry inside us.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lighterrr View Post
    It's a sight that tears your heart out. It's because of this i switched to community nursing and now i visit moms and their babes @ home, less stressful and i play with babies all day long. truth of the matter is soon situations warrent empathy and others being firm is the best approach.

keep doing your work in the hospital and on amhd, your input is appreciated in both environments.

Now I'm confused - you posted that sperm can live in a woman's womb for a period. The Internet says they can live in the fallopian tubes. I didn't realize you are a Nurse -

As far as J_9 - she is helpful beyond words. Always has been. I see no judgment EVER on her part. I have seen her post with understanding and kindness, always.

As far as Nurses in general - my husband was very ill for an extended period. I have posted my praise of Nurses in the past and I continue to praise them. They did more than the Doctors did when it came to keeping me informed, holding me up when I felt like falling down, including me in his treatment - and crying with me when he died. I don't know how they do their job day after day, I really don't.

I have also posted this before - the Doctors were always skilled and knowledgeable; however, they treated the PATIENT. The Nurses treated my HUSBAND. There's a difference. They saw him as a person; the Doctors didn't always do that.

<clunk> Off my soapbox.
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Now I'm confused - you posted that sperm can live in a woman's womb for a period of time. The Internet says they can live in the fallopian tubes. I didn't realize you are a Nurse -

As far as J_9 - she is helpful beyond words. Always has been. I see no judgment EVER on her part. I have seen her post with understanding and kindness, always.

As far as Nurses in general - my husband was very ill for an extended period of time. I have posted my praise of Nurses in the past and I continue to praise them. They did more than the Doctors did when it came to keeping me informed, holding me up when I felt like falling down, including me in his treatment - and crying with me when he died. I don't know how they do their job day after day, I really don't.

I have also posted this before - the Doctors were always skilled and knowledgeable; however, they treated the PATIENT. The Nurses treated my HUSBAND. There's a difference. They saw him as a person; the Doctors didn't always do that.

<clunk> Off my soapbox.
    That post on tubes and womb was done in a hurry and I misused the words. OK now that is cleared up, I know nurses are taught differently. I know from the first semester in nursing school we had to take various courses in "caring" yeah I know what you think it's a joke right we certanily did but going through the course and realizing that our jobs as nurses is to care for the patient genuinely and the diagnosis is kept to the doctors that's their job and not ours. As nurses we get to see a different side to the patient, we are the ones holding their hands prior to surgery, crying with them after a loss, and rejoicing celebrating with them as warranted.
    Nursing is a very fufilling job in many ways, I love my job and would not trade it in for anything. Right now I am in the process of setting up a ultrasound clinic in west africa to provide care for women during pregnancy. I am really excited about it and I know it will be equally rewarding providing services to woman can could not afford it in the past.:)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 09:51 AM
    [QUOTE=lighterrr;1700367]That post on tubes and womb was done in a hurry and I misused the words. OK now that is cleared up, QUOTE]

That should be corrected where originally posted, confusing womb and fallopian tubes, because the incorrect info still stands.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MD degree online for nurses [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I notice in an answer to someone asking about online MD degrees in Canada that this person was told there was one for nurses in Canada. I would love to take my MD degree online in Canada. I currently have a Bachelor's degree in Nursing- going to school online would help, because of the flexible...

J9, I need a nurses opinion! [ 10 Answers ]

I am in kind of a pickle. My regular doctor is out on vacation due to the holiday and I am having a problem. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my second child. I was fixing my hair this morning and started getting really dizzy and light headed. I felt like I was about to pass out so I sat down....

Iraq: Changes in Attitudes? [ 5 Answers ]

More on the surge... Looks like the facts on the ground in Iraq continue to make headway over the rhetoric. And it looks like the Dems still see progress in Iraq as a bad thing. Aren't we supposed to be on the same side? Haven't the critics been telling us how patriotic they are,...

View more questions Search