Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blkdrgn7795 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Can a step father be ordered to pay child support when boilogical isn't
    I'm in the process of divorce I was married for just under seven years I live in NY state and my wife had a child from a previous relationship she claims that she can order judge to make me pay child support how is this possible when the biological father is known. And not paying support
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 05:48 PM

While it does not happen very often, it does happen at times, if a step parent was acting as the parent but the bio parent was no where around.

They will aruge you took the role of parent and acted as such.

She can not "order" the judge she can make a motion in court, argue the facts, you make your defense and the judge will rule.

Is she doing this as some black mail to make you do something
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 05:41 PM

Depends on where you live it might not even be possible. If it is possible where you live, there are a number of requirements that must be met in order to assign support.

She cannot order the judge to do anything and if she does, it will amuse you how badly it ends for her. She can ask nicely and hope a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a step father pay child support. [ 13 Answers ]

My wife wants to end our marriage and has a 13 year old daughter living with us of whome I have had no relationship and or allowed to have a say in her journey to adulthood. My wife gets child support from the real father, so do I still pay child support after our marriage is over.

Court ordered child support. [ 8 Answers ]

I am being told by two different people who work in the court system, I want to know the truth about how long or at what age do I have to pay support? Is it 18, or 21? Now I hear if they attend college it is 21 yrs. For the support to be paid. I have three children who are not in college and...

Suspened drivers license for non-pymt of court ordered child-support. [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if and how I can go about getting my license back now that my son has turned 18 years old and is no longer considered a ward of the state. Who do I contact, or what procedures do I need to take? :confused:

Paternity Results before child support can be ordered? [ 3 Answers ]

What is the proper procedure? When my son's "so-called" daughter was 5, he received papers saying he was going to court for child support. How can they prove the child was his? A paternity test~ right? This girl could not receive WIC or other support because she earned too much at her job since...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search