Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cameron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 07:03 PM
    How to determine percentage for employees
    I have just opened a hair & nail salon and need help with percentages. Right now I am charging 60% - 40%; meaning the Shop gets 40% of what the stylists make and the keep 60% plus tips. But, my problem now is this; if I buy the shampoo, conditioner, relaxers and perms; should I then charge 50% & 50% percent? Also, I am supplying all the products and implements and nail color and soaking machines and pedicure chairs which use lots of electricity. So please tell me what most Salons and Nail Salons would charge I don't seem to be getting ahead at all. Am I under-charging myself. I don't want to scare of my stylists or my nail techs; but I don't want to have to close down because I can't pay the bills. I live in a small city, nothing like New York or California or Chicago; but I need to be able to pay the bills.:confused: Need answers quickly!!
    paranoid_gurl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Most salons I know charge a chair rental and automatically charge employees a certain amount, I don't know what it is where I am but you could go into or call a salon and ask them what they charge
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Sep 19, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Since I've studied about salon business in cosmetology school, I will provide some information.

Here are the average Expenses for salons in the United Sates.
    (Based on total gross income)

Percent
    Salaries and commission (include payroll taxes) 53.5
    Rent... 13
    Supplies... 5
    Advertising... 3
    Depreciation... 3
    Laundry... 1
    Cleaning... 1
    Lighting and power... 1
    Repairs... 1.5
    Insurance.. . 75
    Telephone.. . 75
    Miscellaneous... 1.5
    Total expenses... 85
    Net profit... 15
    ... 100%

As you can see, the largest expense items are salaries, rent, supplies and advertising.

Good business operation requires that you have a simple and sufficient record system. So try to keep weekly records, daily records, purchase and inventory records, and service records. This will determine income, expense, profits, or loss.

Cost of services is generally established according to the location of the salon and the type of clientele you expect to serve. A price list should be posted in a place where it can be seen by all clients. You can also go to other salons and check out their price list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to determine a fair price for a business [ 3 Answers ]

My employer has offered me and my son a chance to buy her business. It's a commercial cleaning service that brings in aprox $15,500 a month. She wants payments of 7000 a month to be taken off the top of the profits. I'll be paying this for 5 years. There is no building in the sale, only...

Safe Percentage Of Hydroquinone [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, Ok here's the deal. My face is a light brown complexion BUT... my eyelids are still brown. I've tried kojic acid, makari, hypercreme and I can't for the love of god lighten my eyelids. So I thought 'ah a small percentage of hydroquinone should help''. I don't know of any safe creams...

How to determine which fuse size I need? [ 2 Answers ]

I've just installed power door locks in my Honda Civic, and I've placed a fuse holder along the wire that goes from + terminal to the door lock relay. First of all, should it be on the + side of the battery or the - side? More important question is, how do I determine the fuse size that I...

Percentage error [ 1 Answers ]

The volume of a sphere is 3500 cm3 + 1.8%. What are the possible maximum and minimum lengths of the radius? Calculate the radius and its percentage error.

View more questions Search