Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtraver79 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Weighted average
    I am having trouble figuring out the weighted average cost inventory method, do you know an easier way of calculating it. I have tried doing it from what the book says but keep falling short in the answer.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 03:50 PM

Well, can't tell you if it's "easier" since I don't know what your book is trying to do... :p

Let's say you have:
    10 units @ $10 = $100
    15 units @ $11 = $165
    12 units @ $12 = $144

Common error: make sure you include beginning inventory in that. Just cause it doesn't say "purchase" on it doesn't mean it wasn't purchased at some point.

Don't ever try to average the 3 prices. Add up the total units (37). Then add up the total cost ($409). You actually have a total of 37 units, so like any average, you're dividing by the total number you have:
    $409/37 = $11.05 (rounded)

In the end, most people find this easier than FIFO or LIFO.

Now, if you're doing perpetual, that gets a little more complicated and is kind of a lot of tedious work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weighted average and EPS [ 2 Answers ]

Dec.31 2008 had 20,000 outstanding shares of common stock issued and outstanding Following March 1st 2,500 additional shares were sold Sept. 1 another 2,500 additional shares were sold Dec.5 a 2-for-1 stock split was declared and was payable on dec.31 to stockholders of record on Dec.21. Net...

Weighted average [ 1 Answers ]

I have a weight average problem that A company reports the following beginning inventory and purchases for the month of January. On January 26, 355 units were sold. What is the cost of the 160 units that remain in ending inventory at January 31, assuming costs are assigned based on a perpetual...

Weighted Average [ 4 Answers ]

I need help figure out the steps to weighted average.

View more questions Search