Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blackballoon6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 12:27 PM
    Obsessed with music
    About a year ago, music started really meaning a lot to me. I had always loved it, but it has started becoming impossible to live without it. I have my iPod on all the time and scrawl lyrics on my school books. If someone turns a cd down or off I automatically turn and shout at them, or sometimes burst into tears. If the music isn't there I panic and feel like I can't go on living. This separates me from my mother (who doesn't like the same types of music as me) and my friends (for the same reason). I don't know what to do anymore. I can't carry on like this, but I feel like the world will cave in without it...
    Help?
    Ruby
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 01:01 AM

Put the iPod down and walk away.

You have to want to stop in order to stop.

Don't cut music out from your life but don't let music cut you out from having a life.

Get busy and focus on other things. Get a part-time job, go volunteer, clean your room and help your parents with chores.

Sarah
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 05:37 AM

Maybe you could talk to a school counsellor?
    Or try getting involved in an activity like a sport to take your mind off it :)
    IheartEdward Posts: 203, Reputation: 4

Apr 26, 2009, 04:08 PM

I say if music makes you happy then listen to it a lot but always make time for family, friends and school. And if you don't want to just make just you go out of your way and give them enough time to keep everyone happy.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 04:47 PM

Hi, blackballoon6!

What is it about the music that means so much to you, please?

Thanks!
    sammeh182 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Apr 26, 2009, 05:11 PM

Music is something to enjoy,it isn't something that should rule your life,I think you should keep music as an important part of your life but also find other things that you enjoy.Good luck !
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 05:27 PM

Even good things when taken to extremes can be bad, so I agree perhaps cold turkey for a while, put the music away, in fact your parents should have taken it away from you if they have noticed this
    AManWithNoName Posts: 424, Reputation: 9

Apr 27, 2009, 01:35 PM

Its like this: its only music, I have a hard time saying that myself, but its not the world
    Try to go a day with out it
    Its not hard
    I mean, its not like its cocain or anything, there's not going to. Be physical withdraw

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm obsessed with my ex [ 4 Answers ]

My ex and I finally called it quits about a month ago and we were together for only about 8 months. I seriously feel he was the only man I've ever fallen in love with. Our bond was so special. But things just didn't work out and our relationship started getting crazy and destructive because of some...

Obsessed with being first [ 2 Answers ]

My soon to be 5 year old is obsessed with being first at everything. First up the stairs, first to arrive at school, first on in the door, first walking up the block etc. I've talked to her teachers who say she does try to be first for projects, but will accept the "it's not your turn to be first...

I think I got obsessed [ 17 Answers ]

My girlfriend broke up with me two weeks ago, after we were going out for four months, over a text message, and I think the main reason was because I got too involved in her life and she wanted to hang out with her friends more. I got upset when she started hanging out with them instead of me, and...

Obsessed with an ex [ 8 Answers ]

So I am totally obsessed with my ex. Not one hour goes by where I don't think about him. I want hangout with him everyday and never leave. I am so jealous... I don't want to picture him EVER with another girl, the thought makes me cringe every time. I am constantly wondering what he is doing and...

Help! Am I obsessed? [ 60 Answers ]

I woke up today full of anxiety and just a general feeling of fear and I think its because I have a feeling that my boyfriend is cheating on me because he's been acting differently lately. He's not as interested in sex as he used to be and he doesn't seem to want to talk to me or be with me as...

View more questions Search