Sep 18, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Free-standing noise cancellation?
    A friend without a computer is wondering
    Whether there's a noise cancellation system
    That can stand by itself in the middle of an
    Apartment near a freeway. She really can't
    Picture herself wearing headphones all the time
    She's at home. Anyone know of a free-standing
    Device that recognizes and cancels sound?
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Sep 18, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Unfortunately, that type of device is just not possible. Sound travels in air as a compression wave, but if you want, you can think of it like a wave in water. There are peaks and troughs. You can also stack waves on top of each other, like little rippleson big waves, for example. Earphone/headphone based noise cancellation devices work by generating the exact opposite sound wave (a peak where there is a trough, and vice versa), which, when added to the incoming sound wave, exactly cancels it out.

Unfortunately, there are only two places where this can work. Either at the source of a sound, or at the receiver of the sound. Think about dropping a pebble in a pond. It makes a series of rings. If you drop another pebble in a different spot, in some locations on the pond, the ripples will be smaller. In others, they will be larger. There is no way to cancel the sound waves over a large area.

The best that she can do is try to block the windows so the freeway sound does not enter as loudly, buy a white noise generator and try to drown out the cars, or just plain old get used to it. I lived in an apartment near a freeway once, and it took about two months before I reached the state where the traffic noise was no longer noticeable.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 20, 2006, 09:40 AM
    I believe you are thinking of some device that can match the frequency and produce wave 180 degrees so that destructive interference cancels the sound. Yes.

Road noise is quite complex (each car's road noice will produce its own frequency) and I know there are electronic filters that remove unwanted sound (as from video tape) within a frequency range.

For real live noise dmatos is probably right (or at least it is top secret CIA stuff). However, there is a much simpler solution- noise absorbing material.

This is material that has special designed surface and is made of special material to absorb the unwanted noise. I have lived by an airport and many homes not only have this in their attics but have a special film on the windows to absorb the noise.
    dana934 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Great! Where do you get it? I've told my friend I'll help her
    Stick egg cartons on the walls.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 2, 2006, 03:26 PM
    I'd go to any home improvement store. Home Depot, etc.
    dana934 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Thank you for the response. I now have very good news: My friend has found a much better apartment to rent and will be moving in a week and a half--without earplugs. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free/Almost Free Online Multiplayer Games [ 51 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone could recommend any free/nearly free online multiplayer games. A few friends and I are looking for some good games over the internet. Preferably something other than a MMORPG as you have to devote a lot of time to those in order to keep up with each other. ...

Standing All Day - Need Better Shoes [ 5 Answers ]

I am in a new job that requires standing and running around (helping customers) all day. I need a better shoe than my Sketchers as at the end of the day.. my legs are hurting. Would like some suggestions on what shoes to look into. Thanks in advance.. JonB

Avg Free [ 11 Answers ]

I have installed AVG Free virus scanner but now I cannot receive or send emails from outlook express. If I close AVG then I can get mail Any ideas - I'm running Windows XP Thanks

Cancellation of debt [ 3 Answers ]

Help- I have been disputing a debt on my credit report for three monthes. They have finally taken it off and I received a letter in the mail yesterday saying they were turning it in to the IRS. The amount of debt cancelled was 1805.55 and the interest is 0.00. However it says "do not report a...

Standing Shower Drain Leaks [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I read few articles about how to fix the shower drain leaks. I guess some experts suggested to use WingTite. I think the rubber gasket and the threaded top cover is what is causing the leak. The threaded holder seems a bit bigger than the hole of the shower drain itself and I don't know how...

View more questions Search