Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leigh072055 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 05:18 PM
    Tax Lien
    I live in Maryland and have federal tax lien against me for $5,000.00 It was issued in 1996. I was unaware of it, but want to pay it. Where do I send the payment. Also, is there a statue of limitations on a federal tax lien.
    Thanks
    Leigh072055
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 19, 2006, 05:23 PM
    The IRS normally drops the case after ten years, so you are right on the edge. Further, by now it's MUCH larger than $5,000 because of the interest.

The first bet is to call the IRS and talk to the agent handling the lien. They may be willing to cut a deal. If nothing else, you can find out EXACTLY how much you now owe!

If no deal is offered, it might be worth hiring an enrolled agent to negotiate with the IRS for you. An enrolled agent does this type of negotiation all the time.
    leigh072055 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 05:26 PM
    Thanks, I will take your advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS tax lien [ 5 Answers ]

I owe over $11000 in back federal tax for 1996. Can the IRS put a lien on the home we live in when the house is in my wife's name and only I owe the back tax? I am paying $5 a month on this bill but have signed no payment agreement with the IRS. Will the 10 year statute of limitation on federal tax...

Offer of compromise,Tax lien [ 3 Answers ]

We have a tax lien against us.We are considering doing a offer of compromise. Once we do that will the tax lien be taken off? Also my husband and his brother are named in a trust.It's not for much,Everything is supposed to be sold and split 3 ways and 1/3 of it going to a church. Will I have to...

Tax lien houses [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find info about finding tax lien houses, I'm very interested in buying us a house

Tax lien houses [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find info about finding tax lien houses, I'm very interested in buying us a house

Put a lien on his truck? [ 4 Answers ]

My ex owes me aprox $4.500.00 from our divorce back in 1999. I never pressed the issue but recently I did him a favor & loaned him some $$ just to have him laugh & say he doesn't plan to pay it back because I can't prove it. Well I can't prove the latest loan but I do have the divorce papers saying...

View more questions Search