Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HAH Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 09:15 AM
    Replacing Door Trim
    Both of my exterior doors have rotted trim. When pulling off the old trim I discovered that the frame of the door on one side is rotted as well. Can I replace that part of the frame without buying a whole new pre-hung door?

I know nothing about doors and frames.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 09:26 AM

The cause of the rot may be a concern... are you speaking of dry rot, moisture damage, bug damage..

Unless the problem is serious, I would just ignore the "rotted" door frame and replace the trim as you planned to from the beginning.

What's hidden and not causing a problem is no problem in my book :)

... the above is just what I would do.

Apr 23, 2009, 10:04 AM

It's water damage. Unfortunately it is the exposed part of the frame that is rotted. It's where I need to nail the trim in.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 10:06 AM

Hi hah

U can replace the door jamb and use the existing door. The rot will only get worse with time. If rot is extensive, may effect structure/framing.

Push an awl through rotten area into studding to see of it is soft. This is a sign that the studding is also rotting.

Check caulking around door frame where it meets siding.

Good luck

Chuck
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 10:12 AM

I've not had good experience with replacing the trim and not the door. Routing the places for the hinges can be a royal pain in the rump.

... so shop around for a pre-hung... there are some deals out there.

... or consider "scabbing" on a piece of trim...

... or see if you can, as HAH suggests, find trim for replacement... but don't forget about the hinges for the door.

Apr 23, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Here are pictures of what the frame looks like after pulling the trim off.

Apr 23, 2009, 11:04 AM

Apr 049 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Apr 050 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My attachments didn't work. Here are links to the pictures.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 11:23 AM

Yep, that's water damage from a lack of caulking... or the siding not doing it's job.

... since the damage is apparent even where the new trim would not cover, I recommend either a new pre-hung OR a new "jamb" (as creahands suggests) IF you can easily route the place for the hinges (which my be a lot of work).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 12:33 PM

I am with Rickj on this. Replacing a door frame piece is too much work since the jamb must come completely out. You need to replace the entire frame and, unless you are 100% in love with the old door, replace everything with prehung. That door was off to the side but it looks like maybe its steel, is it?

Apr 23, 2009, 01:13 PM
    It is a steel door.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 01:35 PM

Thought so, then it may be worth saving but you will have to do some work to set the door in a new non prehung frame. Find yourself a lumber yard or big box that can supply the frame that best fits your old door. Like Rickj mentioned, cutting the hinges will be fun. Once mounted in the new frame reset the frame in the door opening and shime on the hinge side until plumb and square, then attach the lock side to te frame shimming until you have an 1/8" reveal.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 01:53 PM

I'm with Bal 1 on this. The repair on a jamb is called a Dutch repair. Its done but not to often. You already have the trim off Jambs are easy to take out now. The pre Hung is cheap as far as labor verses results here.

Also now it the time to counter flash if you need to for water prevention in the future.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 06:24 PM

I agree with ball and boat.

U should replace frame/jamb and prehung new door would be the easiest way to go.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to trim bottom door casings for tile [ 13 Answers ]

I been wondering which saw be it manual or motor powered is the best for cutting existing door moldings at the bottom to compensate for the extra thickness of a new floor such as hardwood flooring or bathroom projects using hardibacker,new tile? To date, I've used a sawsall with a long fine tooth...

Replacing a old door with a new door [ 6 Answers ]

I am replacing an existing old door with a new door. I am not replacing the frame only the door. How is the best way to ensure the new door into the same old frame.

Tricky Door Trim Question [ 2 Answers ]

I need to trim around a door in my basement. Because the door is under where I boxed in around duct work, there isn't enough room to trim around the top. Any suggestions?? Scott

Replacing trim [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing some of the wood trim in my home. Some areas on the sheet rock does not have 2x4 reinforcement to nail to. How would you suggest I install the trim with? It seems that when I use the trim nails they will not hold the wood flush against the sheetrock.

View more questions Search