Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhoffman Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 02:03 PM
    Spouse Resident Status
    Hi, I'm a Mexican Citizen currently on OPT, changing status to H1B in October. A while ago you advised me to file as a married resident, so I could be able to take the standard decuction, and my child deduction. I have a couple of questions:
    1) I know I can file as resident, since I'll be working and have a Social Security Number, but can I file as a married resident even though my wife does not have SSN? I've heard I can get her a IRS ID number or something similar, is that correct? How should I proceed in order to get that ID #?
    2)Does taking the standard decuction mean that I cannot take other deductions? Items like medical and dental expenses (currently deducted from my payrol), moving expenses, interest paid on my student loan, excise taxes etc.
    Thanks again
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 18, 2006, 05:09 PM
    1) When you file, you submit Form W-7 with a notarized photocopy of your wife's passport to get an Individual Tax Identification Number. You mail the return (with your wife's name inserted but the SSN area BLANK) to the address in the W-7 instructions, the IRS issues the ITIN, inserts it on the tax return, then processes the return.

2) By filing jointly, you will get a $10,000 standard deduction (for 2005) or $10,400 for 2006. You will not be able to claim medical and dental insurance premiums, but you will be able to deduct moving expenses and student loan interest.
    jhoffman Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 10:43 AM
    It surely helps!
    Thanks,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 27, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming Non-resident spouse & child as dependents [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife came to US (H4 visa) for the first time in 2006 & was in the US for 3 months. She left for India and we had a baby last month. She will be back In the US along with the child only in Feb 2007. 1) Can I file as "married filing jointly" and apply for ITIN for my wife when I...

Spouse resident of different state [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on green card, while my spouse is on F1. I live in California, while my spouse lives in NY. For federal tax purposes, 1. I have to use 1040 if filing jointly ? (Can I get benefit from tax treaties for my wife's income ?) 2. For California, I can file 540 NR, married filing jointly,...

Status as resident / non - resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Need some advise on the taxes - I had moved to NY in November 2005 with my wife. We had a baby in December 2005. I need to know my status as to whether I would need to file my return as Resident Alien or Non-Resident Alien. Also I want to know that since I received my SSN in January...

H1B Resident Status deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Last year, I was in dual status (part-OPT, part H1B) and filed a 1040NR-EZ. This year I have become a resident for tax purposes as I have been in H1B throughout 2005. So I have to file 1040/1040EZ. Last year, with 1040NR-EZ, claimed $5000 standard deduction as I am a citizen of India. Can I still...

Non-living spouse on F-1 status maintaining temporary absence [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings!! I am a resident of Connecticut since 6 yrs and on a H-1B visa status right now. I got married to a student who was on F-1 status in the year 2004-2005. Because of medical reasons she went back to her home country maintaining her diligent paperwork supporting to maintain temporary...

View more questions Search