Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Juicer28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2004, 07:43 PM
    About.blank issue with Internet Explorer
    Hi all, I have a question, ::) Using Windows 98 SE, when opening up Internet Explorer, the page defaults to "About.Blank". Now I have no idea what is causing it, unless it is Spyware on my PC. I have run many Spyblockers and searchers, but nothing removes that annoying problem,

Please if any one has any imput, please respond..?

Scott C.
    :-/
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Jul 18, 2004, 12:21 PM
    About.blank issue with Internet Explorer
    Hi Scott,

Download Ad-aware 6, a free program that you can download at:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Check for updates before running program. Then follow the directions here to do a full scan:

The following explains how to set Ad-aware's settings to perform a "Full Scan."

In Ad-aware click the Gear to go to the Settings area.

The following items should be on a green check, not on a red X.

Under the Scanning button:

Scan within archives

Under Memory & Registry, Check EVERYTHING

In Check Drives & Folders, make sure all of your hard drives are selected

Under the Advanced button, check ALL under Log detail level (this makes it easier for visitors to the Lavasoft Support Forums to see what options you have selected should you require assistance.)

Under the Tweak button...

Some of these may not be an available option, depending on your version of Ad-aware and your version of Windows. Do not be concerned if you cannot select a certain item.

In Scanning Engine:

Unload recognized processes during scanning

Include info about ignored objects in logfile, if detected in scan

Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile

Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile

Include used command line parameters in logfile

In Cleaning Engine:

XP/2000: Allow unloading explorer to unload shell extensions prior to deletion

Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

UNCHECK: Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion

Click Proceed to save these settings. When you would like to perform a "Full Scan," switch the scan mode from SmartScan to Custom.

After running Ad-aware, you must reboot your computer. It may be necessary to run Ad-aware two or three times if you have a lot of spyware, rebooting each time in between.

Also take a look at:

http://www.lavahelp.com/articles/v6/04/05/1801.html

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2004, 01:44 AM
    Software should be the last step of any spyware removal process... not the first! If the removal procedure is done out of sequence, your problems will just return the next time you restart your computer.

Try the Spyware-Adware Removal Kit that is available by instant download at the link below. By following these simple procedures, you will restore your computer to like-new condition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blank Explorer Windows [ 5 Answers ]

I have been having this problem for some time, and cannot figure out what is wrong. While on the internet when clicking on a link that opens another window the window that is opened is blank. No writing, blank. The address doesn't even appear. I ran Ad-aware, and that did not fix the problem. ...

Internet explorer 6 [ 2 Answers ]

I got the system with win98SE platform. It got a IE 5in it. Now, I want to upgrade it to IE 6. But, whenever I down load the installation file from the Microsoft site which is for 436 kb & when I run it, it tells, previous installation is not completed & restart the machine to install IE6. So, I...

Internet Explorer [ 4 Answers ]

When ever I try to open a site such as Yahoo,Google I get a popup window that ask me what to use to open it with,When In click on IE and OK it will open. How do I get it to open all the time without doing this extra. Its something new? :confused:

Internet Explorer [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have IE installed on mu PC running on windows 2000 but it does not open. I thought let me remove IE and re-install but I am unable to see ADD/Remove programs on the control panel. Any idea what is the problem. I can open Yahoo messenger and msn messenger.

Pop-ups in Internet Explorer [ 6 Answers ]

I'm using Spybot to remove adware and spyware, but I'm still getting a few popups with Internet Explorer (specifically noticed when I try and access Yahoo or Google) which I don't using Netscape. What more can I do to end all the popups in Internet explorer?

View more questions Search