Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newmotor11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 06:51 PM
    Measuring capacitance / Craftsman 82400 Multimeter / manual source?
    Im trying to test barrel capacitors with this meter but I'm unsure of how with the CAP setting, I have searched this site and found a similar question and folks said go to sears.com or www.3sears.com or whatever the parts.sears address was, I searched and searched fruitless.

What Im trying to do is troubleshoot an LCD monitor power supply board that continuously cycles power. I did a battery charge/discharge test , with all caps on the PSU but I feel this is not a completely accurate way to test them. My method was to charge out of the circuit, with a 1.5v batt, then check volts dc and see how fast it drops if they even hold at all. They all dropped slowly from the charge amount to 0.00v. So Im back to the drawing board, I have limited electronic knowledge but spent 18 years as a auto tech and did a lot of 12v work, so I'm applying what knowledge I have. I have done many small electronics repairs but not much PSU work. I usually would just replace it.

Can anyone help me out?

Steve B
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 08:50 PM

CAP usually means capacitance. There will be certain limits that the meter will measure. Usually tests have to be made of circuit.

One of the simpler capacitance meters puts the cap in an oscillator circuit and measures the resultant frequency. It's not a good method, but it works. Usually high capacitances are not measurable. Say like >1000 uf.

Units may be in pF, nF or uF. Pico, nano and mico Farad.

<I'm going to move this thread from Tools and Power Equipment to Electrical Engineering>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owners manual for Craftsman Digital Multimeter 82015 [ 10 Answers ]

Can someone help me to locate a manual for a Craftsman Digital Multimeter number 82015? My grandfather gave it to me before he passed but I don't know how to use/read it, any help?

Craftsman tabel saw manual [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find an owners maal for a Craftsman 12 in table saw model #113299132 ?

Craftsman manual [ 2 Answers ]

Would you be able to help me obtain a manual and parts book for a craftsman tractor lawn mower. Model # 944.606450 Serial # 010896A 001157 15.5 H.P. OHV CRAFTSMAN MOWER QC SYSTEM 42"? THANK YOU DENNIS

View more questions Search