Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Sep 18, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Big debt, Need to file bankruptcy
    Ok I really need to file bankruptcy. I am not sure how to go about it or what chapter is right for me to file. I don't even know what I should ask a lawyer about. I will be getting married very soon and I don't want my debt to effect his good credit. We will be signing a prenupt but I really need to start over as far as my personal credit goes. None of my debt is credit card debt either. Looking over one of my credit reports there is one for an address that I have never lived at one that has been paid off entirely and is ten yrs old. And I haven't a clue as to how to clear all this up. There's an address on here that I haven't lived at in over ten yrs and it says it's a current address... If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it very much. Thanks for your patience. Oh I also live in a different state than the debt was incurred in.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2006, 10:02 AM
    You NEED to consult a bankruptcy attorney. He will know the questions to ask, that's why you need one. Many will offer a free initial consultation.

Your credit will not affect your future husband's. The only problem would be if you sign together for any loans.

If you have mistakes on your credit report, then you need to contact the reporting agency and start an investigation to get the entries removed. If you obtained a report, instructions for doing so should be on the report.

If your debt isn't credit card debt, what is it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 18, 2006, 03:16 PM
    Yes, you call up a bankruptcy attorney and say I need help, and make an appointment, take with you ever debt you have, ( every debt your current credit cards bills, your over due books at the library , everything.

You show it all to them and they tell you.

Also as Scott said, if there are errors, those can be corrected by merely challenging it ( writing the reporting agency) on the debt.

Next what type of debt is this, taxes, student loans ( student loans can almost never be discharged with bankruptcy) so knowing the type of debt will also help.

But also when you get married, your credit will effect his credit and your bankruptcy will show up not on him personally but when people are married, their spouses credit is somehow noted and also shown when one person runs.

I know that first hand,
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Sep 18, 2006, 07:20 PM
    It is mostly medical. I had applied for the hmo in my home state and they started it the day after I applied for it and that is what most of it is. I do have a few unpaid bills from a previous marriage... 1997... I don't actually think it was legal for the system to date it after the date I applied, but I don't think I can do anything about it now. I need to file for bankruptcy and start over again. So what do I look for in a lawyer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy or 401K to setle CC debt [ 4 Answers ]

We were barely making ends meet before my husband (40yrs old) lost his job of 14 years due to cutbacks. His OT was cutout entirely 3 years ago after a co. restructuring. We did take $5K out of his 401K a little while after he lost his job 6 months ago. He was unemployed for 3 months, then found a...

Bankruptcy and Credit Card Debt [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I filed bankruptcy in March of 1999. It was discharged in March of 2000. Today I go a call from Zellers, saying I had to pay them $319.00, that I still owed. I was shocked, and told them I thought it was covered under our bankruptcy. They had no record of them being...

Bankruptcy & Debt [ 5 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations on debt? Can a creditor ask for repayment on something from 1992?

Debt after Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

We filed bankruptcy and included our 1st and 2nd mortgage as a reaffirmation. Well my husband got laid off and we just didn't have the money to pay for the 2nd mortgage payment. The mortgage company notified us saying that the property did not have the value for foreclosure, but that our account...

Bankruptcy, 401K & a lot of debt [ 6 Answers ]

I am sick at my stomach as I type this, and don't have anyone else that I can talk to about this. Here's the situation: My husband and I filed bankruptcy and it was done on 1/1/02- only 3 1/2 years ago. We have been building our credit back again,and over the course of time, now find ourselves...

View more questions Search