Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MIKAEBA22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 12:27 PM
    Paying child support but unable to pay for in home expenses.
    My boyfriend has been paying child support for a daughter that he made on a one night stand. Granted he wants to be a father NO MATTER WHAT, he seems to be paying too much to provide for our daughter and our expenses as a family. Is there any way that he can get these lowered so that we can be a family and make it on our own without his mothers help? If not, could I claim child support to maintain a steady income rate for our family?

ALSO, could he receive joint custody when they weren't married in the first place? And would that also decrease his child support amount?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 12:30 PM

Would you only want joint custody to reduce the child support?

It would mean that you would have to provide half of all clothing, medical and educational needs.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 22, 2009, 12:31 PM

If he wants a reduction in support due to changed circumstances, he has to go to Family Court and petition for a modification of support and/or custody. There is no way for us to tell whether there are sufficient grounds for the court to issue a modification.

Depending on the age of the child its not likely he will get joint physical custody so that there is a 50/50 split in time. And frankly, while that MAY reduce your support payments it will be offset by the increase in your home expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-Wife not paying child support of seeing the child [ 10 Answers ]

We just recently got the divorce final my I got custody and she is suppose to have visitation every other weekend she will pick her up Friday and drop her off Saturday. She was suppose to take her for the whole month of June and July but said she cannot because she has no one to watch her. She...

Will I be paying child support for a child not mine in marrige? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I be force to pay child support through marrige even if the child is not mine?

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

Paying Child Support to mom who abandoned child [ 5 Answers ]

I'll try to be brief... My 17 year old daughter chose to live with her mom 100% of the time a year and a half ago. My ex drug me through the court system fighting for an increase in my child suport even though I was still paying her (through automatic deduction from my pay check) for my daughter...

Child support, college expenses and name changes [ 4 Answers ]

There are several issues I have questions about: 1. If a child over the age of 18 changes his surname to his mother's maiden name, does the father still have to pay college expenses or child support (in NJ)? 2. If the father has NO say in the college choice, is he still obligated to pay...

View more questions Search