Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JennGiu311 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 12:26 PM
    My husband wants to adopt my daughter!
    I live in Chicago and my husband wants to adopt my daughter. My daughters father has never been there for her. My daughter is 11 years old and has not seen her father since she was a baby. My husband wants to adopt my daughter but I'm not sure what I can do. I have called the court house and they transfer me somewhere else, NO ONE can help me! I would like to know if there is a legal document I can send to my daughters father to see if he will sign to release his rights so my husband can adopt her. I did try to take this to court in the past to release his rights, however, the courts did say they would not do anything unless she would be getting adopted by my husband. If someone can please help me find the right document to send to him I would greatly appreciate it!
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 12:33 PM

Have you considered hiring an attorney to oversee the adoption?

I would highly recommend one. They would be able to handle all of the paperwork and documentation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 22, 2009, 12:33 PM

You need to have an attorney prepare the adoption petition. The attorney will also handle getting the father's rights terminated. This is not something I would recommend your doing yourself.
    JennGiu311 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    Have you considered hiring an attorney to oversee the adoption?

I would highly recommend one. They would be able to handle all of the paperwork and documentation.

***My only problem is I don't have that kind of money to hire an attorney. The cheapest one I found was just to appear and bring in the paperwork was $500 and that doesn't include if the father doesn't agree to it or whatnot.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 22, 2009, 01:28 PM

Then start saving. Its unlikely you can get this done on your own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my husband adopt my daughter. [ 1 Answers ]

My husaband is trin to adopt my 4 year old daughter. Her bio father has visition rights but has chosen not to see her in over 2 years. He is well aware of where we live I on the other hand have no idea where he is. He recently started paying child support but still owes in back payments. He is also...

My husband wants to adopt my daughter [ 4 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my daughter. I have not been with the father since she was 8 months old but he is named on the birth certificate and he still sees her. My husband has decided he would like to adopt her just to make it final, we have two other kids to which are my husbands kids anyway. ...

My husband wants to adopt my daughter, but [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 2 years, my baby was 10 months old when we met. The biological father's wages are garnished each week for child support, but he doesn't cover any other responsibilities like day care or medical expenses. HE only sees her for about 12 hours a month. My...

Can my husband adopt my daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has wanted to adopt my daughter (who's 12) for some time now. Her bio father left when she was 5months old and did not pay any contributions for her care. He has had no contact with her since she was 2 ( we live in a different country now). How do I go about finding him and making the...

My husband wants to adopt my daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the easies way for my husband to adopt my daughter? Her dad has nothing to do with her, he will sign over his rights cause he already said he would. So what is the cheapest and easiest way to do this. Thank you.

View more questions Search