Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Picassa Posts: 42, Reputation: 6

Apr 22, 2009, 09:30 AM
    Third and final stepson to be married in September -destination wedding
    Well, I thought we had heard everything. First stepson's wedding we were kept in the dark, second stepson's wedding we were invited to help with the planning and host, and now comes the final wedding with its' own unique set of circumstances.

This one will be a destination wedding in Kauai, so it's more difficult to iron out details from far away. We've been asked to host the rehearsal dinner again and we are happy to do this, we just find it impossible to work out details and finances with the boy's mother, given the history of her behavior at the first wedding and her refusal to speak to me. Future daughter in law wants to know if I would fly there with her the week before the wedding to tend to last minute details, and also so I can do her flowers.

The problem is that Stepson's mom is furious about me making the trip and doing the flowers, not that it would deter me from going, but I am looking for a way to diffuse the situation so she doesn't cause a scene once she gets there. Maybe I shouldn't have agreed to do the flowers, but I love working with tropicals, and they wanted to save money.

Anyone have an idea for smoothing the waters with the mom of the groom? I know she is the guardian of her own emotions, I just want there to be some measure of decorum at the wedding events we all have to attend together. She has refused to speak to me for years, but her husband (of 22 years) has been very cordial. Any help and creative ideas are appreciated!
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 04:17 PM
    I think it's big of you to be concerned about the feelings of a woman who doesn't care about you. Of course you are right in that the day should be as smooth as possible for the bride and groom.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your stepson's fiancé. I would give her a call and explain, exactly have you have here, that you are honored to have been asked to do the flowers but you are concerned about Mom's reaction. Ask the bride if she can find a token job for Mom to distract her from your role in the celebration. Explain that you are just trying to keep the peace. The bride will probably be happy to have the heads up.

You are not clear as to who is actually hosting the rehearsal dinner. Is it you and you husband only? Or are Mom and husband co-hosts along with you?

If you and your husband are the hosts, then make your plans as you wish to and don't worry about input from anyone else. If all four of you are the hosts, then communicate through Mom's husband if Mom refuses to speak to you. There is only so much stress we can put on ourselves when other people are being childish.
    Picassa Posts: 42, Reputation: 6

Apr 24, 2009, 06:55 PM

That is a great idea. I hadn't thought of her being asked to do something in preparation, but it would give her a focus and a purpose and perhaps deflect the negative energy that is sure to come our way if things stay as they are. I will suggest this to our future daughter in law. Maybe have her doing the brunch arrangements for the day after the wedding or something? Possibly getting entertainment together for the rehearsal dinner? I will keep thinking. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

We are hosting the rehearsal dinner again, but will list her name along with her husband's on the invitations as we did before even though we are paying and planning according to what the couple has requested - Luau with traditional music.

After the first wedding when she and her husband hosted, made all of the decisions and failed to invite the right people, pay the bills, etc. the kids have learned that it's probably best to leave this task to their dad and me. We don't mind, and I think she likes the recognition too. Life is too short to make a big deal out of it.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 11:37 PM
    You have a great attitude about the whole thing. The kids are lucky to have you on their side. Enjoy Hawaii!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift Giving for a Destination Wedding [ 24 Answers ]

My husband and I are attending a destination wedding that is going to cost the two of us a total of $1100 just to be in attendance for our friends nuptials. That amount includes only airfare, hotel and a rental car. We will still have further expenses throughout our 4 day stay. Is it...

My family upset about destination wedding [ 5 Answers ]

I have dilema. My fiancé and I decided a year ago when we got engaged that we wanted a wedding that reflected who we are and what we love. We decided to have a destination wedding in Cuba with our kids. We invited people to join if they wanted to share in our day and enjoy time on the beach. We...

Destination Wedding [ 3 Answers ]

I am a maid of honor at a destination wedding, there will not be any one else coming except the bride, groom, best man, myself and the father of the bride. I am not sure if it is appropriate to have a shower for her or not?

Destination Wedding w/ Military Groom and Groomsman [ 1 Answers ]

We are having a destination wedding in the Caribbean. My fiancé is in the Army and wants to wear his dress blues. The Groomsmen will be wearing more casual attire (khaki's and a white shirt). One of his groomsmen is also in the Army, and is of a higher rank than my fiancé. Does the Groomsman need...

Getting married without a wedding [ 7 Answers ]

I want to get married but we can't afford a wedding can we still get married without a wedding? What do I have to do?

View more questions Search