Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mbell1960 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 06:41 AM
    Lots of debt very little income
    We are in a lot of debt, over $200,000 and our income has dropped to about $21,000 a year. We are looking for additional work but have yet to find any, my husband has taken on a school bus drivers job to provide us with health insurance.

Our debt is about 2 years old (March was 2 years) and we have not filed for bankruptsy and have not been able to pay on this debt either, we can bairly pay our bils. The problem and why we did not file was we live in a home that we only own 1/3, it was my mother-n-laws and they do not charge us anything to live here except the taxes and the upkeep. We were afraid we would lose this house if we filed. Also, I have a family turst that I have no access to which is mostly land but it caused too much assets on my side.

We can't seem to move forward because of this large debt, it has hurt our chances with many jobs, what do we do, who do we turn to? We don't have money for attorney fees.

This is eating me alive!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 07:21 AM

What is the bulk of your debt? Credit cards, personal loans? Some creditors are easier to deal with than others.

The fact that you have a trust does not mean you can't file in bankruptcy. You can still file but that asset gets turned over to the creditors.

With the income/debt ratio, I don't see that you have a lot of choices here.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 11:55 AM

I'm not sure how you spend so much money, but first thing you have to do is review the money that you spend to reduce your expenses.

Secondly, continue your hunt for additional jobs to increase your income. Consider changing jobs if you find a job with higher pay.

Thirdly, if you have credit card debts, you should consider borrowing from the bank or some other financial institution that has a lower interest rate. That will reduce your monthly interest burden and more money can be used to pay off your capital.

Another option is to borrow from close family members who might have extra money. That way you can hopefully get an interest free loan.

Otherwise, if you can't handle it, you will eventually have to declare bankruptcy.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 09:41 PM

You need to consult with a bankruptcy attorney about this problem. A lot of them give free consultations. You need to be upfront and honest with the attorney so he can help you figure out the best solution for you.

If this was medical bills I can well understand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card debt, no income [ 13 Answers ]

I also am being threatened by one of my creditors who has turned my account over to a law firm. They want to take me to court, but I lost my job last fall and have no income. My husband's name is not on any of my accounts. I also don't have any assets in my name that they can fall back on. I...

Debt, fixed income, car value [ 2 Answers ]

Due to a debilitating illness, I lost my income for several years. I now have SSD but have a bleak credit history. My problem is I need a new car... am I restricted to finite value of the car... even if it is a gift. Rumor is I cannot own a car worth more than $2500. Is this true? I live in NYS.

Ontario Income Tax Debt - SOL? [ 2 Answers ]

Good evening to all, A quick question for the helpful experts here: Does the Ontario Statute of Limitations apply to Income Tax debt? Thanks in advance, Dave

Too much debt and little income in NC [ 4 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina, I have a mortgage of about 32,000.00 on my home, I have about 20,000.00 in Credit card debt, and I only receive Social Sercurity disablility. I can not continue to pay the credit card companies anymore because debt is to high. Have tried to work out better apr's with...

Debt to income ratio? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I recently tried to obtain a loan for the purchase of a home. Unfortunately, the establishment declined to offer us a loan on the basis of debt to income ratio, and the fact that I have a blemish that incurred almost 7 years ago. How does debt to income work exactly? I am sure the name...

View more questions Search