Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garr95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Power to furnace control board but stops there
    Hi
    I was given a Nordyne KG6RA gas furnace. After installing, I turned on and there was a low hum when the power got to it. I held the door switch closed so I could see. After a few seconds there was a spark and then blue smoke and everything went dead. I could not see where the smoke came from. The LED lights on the control board never came on, even before the spark. Any suggetions or advise? Thanks in advance.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 21, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Time to call the repair man for this one
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2006, 08:37 PM
    On the circuit board there is a small fuse probably 3 amps or possibly 5 amps check to seeif this fuse is blowed, if it is don't replace it or it will just blow again. But it will give you a clue if the short is in the low voltage or in the high voltage. That fuse controls onlu the low voltage.
    garr95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I did replace the fuse first thing and still nothing. I have a repairman coming on Monday. It's a 4 yr old high efficiency furnace, and I got it for free, so if I have to spend a couple hundred dollars getting it going, it is worth it. My old furnace is 23 years old, still runs but not very efficient.

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Furnace Control Board? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 58PAV that intermittently aborts or sometimes clicks on and off at the draft blower stage. I found out I can move the control board (HK42FZ007) when the blower motor clicks off, and it clicks and comes right back on. If I hold it just right, the furnace starts and if I manage to...

Furnace squeals but then stops [ 5 Answers ]

The past several months my forced air furnace would all of a sudden start making this high pitched chirping sound and then get even louder throughout the night. When we would shut it off it would squeal until it shut off completely making us think it was a belt. We had used wd-40 and it seems to...

Wiring question for new blower control board [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought the Lennox blower control board replacement kit - 31M73 I'm stuck on wiring the transformer--- The five wires coming out of the transformer going to the old board are - Yellow - common Blue - 24 vac Orange-L2 XFMER Primary Black - L1 XFMER Primary Red - PARK

Power supply and sys board/cpu [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use a power supply that says "for pentium 4" with a pcchips board and an AMD sempron 2700? Supply is a 400.

Powering the G terminal on my furnace control board [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! My furnace's control board recently blew and the repair guy replaced it with a different kind. Aparently the new board requires a wire from the thermostat to the G terminal to work the A/C fan, and the old one didn't. The repair guy would need to make another trip for this repair. I am...

View more questions Search