Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrinaAngel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 01:16 AM
    What kind of illness is my hamster dying from?
    My oldest hamster, who is about 2 years old, is dying and probably won't make it through the night. I have gone back and forth trying to figure out what illness she has that has made her so sick and dying. Her symptom are eyes always closed, no movement and limp when I pick her up, cold and different smell, heavy breathing but turning shallow, sometimes I see her try to walk and she wobbles and stops in her place and lies there, tonight I found a little discharge from her behind. Good thing I separated her from the other two hamsters I have. I first thought she had a respitory infection because it all started with her weezing and having a hard time breathing 3 days ago and the next day she was barely moving. Could she have had a respitory infection or wettail, I don't know which one?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 08:38 AM

I wish I could give you a definite answer, but without actually seeing your hamster, I can only guess.

Respiratory infections in hammy's are quite common. What kind of wood shavings do you use? Many store bought wood shavings can cause resp failure in the animals that use them.

Wet tail, although commonly associated with hamsters, is not as common as you think. It does happen, but not nearly as often as you would think. Most times it's just a case of the runs. If it is wet tail, there's really nothing you or a vet can do. Most hammy's with wet tail are dead within 24 hours.

Just keep her comfortable, make sure she's not in pain. If you can, take her to the vet. I doubt there's anything they could do, but they could end her misery.

Two years old means old age, so it could just be that as well.

I'm sorry. I wish I had a solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My hamster [ 7 Answers ]

My hamster seams like he has a sickness. He is shaking is cold, getting thin and doesn't want to eat anything even his favorite foods! WHAT DO I DO!? :(

Got my new hamster [ 1 Answers ]

First of all I would like to thank all those who helped me by supplying info about hamsters. Yesterday I went and got one. He or she I'm not really sure for the gender, is named Chico. Our two cats never even noticed him yet, thank god. And for rex, well he hasn't tried to eat him so... Lilttle...

Hamster [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm just wondering. I have a female syrian hamster and she is 8 weeks roughly mmmm She is vey nervous and she has bit me once but I want to tame her. Do you know why they make growling noises because she is doing that when she bites the bars and scratches. Plus I want to get her used to...

Hamster Qs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a friend, he says a lot of things... The other day he said a hamster could kill a rat by jumping on its back and biting its neck. This seems a bit silly to me, the largest animal I could find that they eat using Google was locusts. Does this actually happen or is he making things...

Mental illness vs physical illness [ 6 Answers ]

I need advise on what to do about my older sister. She is 57 years old and has spent most of her adult life in and out of hospitals. Although she does have some real medical problems she constantly complains about her health. She is fairly dependent on pain medications although she denies...

View more questions Search