Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trinigirl1401 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2006, 06:34 PM
    chemistry moles and mass question
    this problem is kicking my butt cause we have multiple choice and I can't seem to get any of the posted answers... please help!

A 0.0100-mol sample of urea, NH2CONH2, contains
    4.82 x 1022 atoms.
    4.82 x 1024 atoms.
    6.02 x 1022 molecules.
    4.82 x 1023 atoms.
    6.02 x 1023 molecules.

please tell me how to do this as apparently I don't know...
    ilovcali Posts: 206, Reputation: 85

Sep 19, 2006, 06:22 PM
    Hey, I'm a chem grad student. Are you a frosh?

Anyway, so what you need to realize is that urea is a molecule. Then use Avogadro's Number. That is 6.02 x 10^23 anything/mol. So the conversion is as follows:

0.0100 mol urea X 6.02 x 10e23 molecules urea/1 mol urea The moles will cancel, and you'll be left with molecules of urea.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 19, 2006, 07:03 PM
    But Cali, isn't there an easier way to figure out A's number?

For the beginner? If I remember correctly, I might be wrong, but there is an easier formula for A's number, that will get you to your expected outcome.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovcali
    Hey, I'm a chem grad student. Are you a frosh?

Anyway, so what you need to realize is that urea is a molecule. Then use Avogadro's Number. That is 6.02 x 10^23 anything/mol. So the conversion is as follows:

0.0100 mol urea X 6.02 x 10e23 molecules urea/1 mol urea The moles will cancel, and you'll be left with molecules of urea.
    ilovecali - while your answer is a start, you did not solve the problem and you assumed too much. Just because urea is a molecule doesn't mean the answer needs to be in molecules.

0.01 * 6.02*10^23 gives 6.02*10^21 molecules of urea. This is not an answer that is available. This rules out the answers with "molecules" as the unit.

that leaves only answers with atoms. Since urea has 8 atoms per molecule, you then need to take the number of molecules times the number of atoms.

6.02*10^21 * 8 = 48.16 * 10^21 which is 4.82*10^22 atoms.

the key is to do this step by step. Moles to molecules first, then molecules to atoms if you still are looking for a matching answer.

j_9... I don't think shortcuts are beneficial to those doing these kinds of problems in most circumstances, as being able to address multiple cancellations of units is a skill that most gen chem students need to master without tricks or shortcuts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Moles on face [ 3 Answers ]

I have thick moles on my face.. they are getting enlarged. Earlier they were like small dot. Now they are increasing in colour and size. Please suggest some thng how can I get rid of that. These moles make me feel low in front of any one. Thanks prabhjot

Question on structures in Organic Chemistry ! [ 2 Answers ]

3.52 mg of compound "A" reacts with red Phosphorous and Bromine to gine compound "B". Compound "B" on reaction with KCN fives "C" which on hydolysis gives "D". "D" is optically inactive. "D" on mild heating gives "E" & "F". "E" on further heating in presence of Soda Lime gived "F" & "G". Both "F"...

Yard Moles [ 6 Answers ]

I have a BIG problem with yard moles. I would like to have any advise. I cannot afford all the "stuff" like stakes and traps. I was wondering if anyone has any "home remendies" to get rid of these. My neighbor also has them very mad. Sue

Chemistry Question [ 2 Answers ]

How do you develop a Time Clock used in an experiment when determining a rate of reaction?

Moles [ 1 Answers ]

If 2.0 moles of nitroglycerin explodes, what is the total number of moles of gaseous products produced? 4 C3H5N3O9(l) --> 12 CO9g) + 10 H2O(g) + 6 N2(g) + O2(g) How many moles of Al(l) are produced if 4.5 moles of Al2O3(s) reacts? How many moles of C(s) are necessary to produce 3.2 moles of...

View more questions Search