Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aquareii Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Non-permanent hair colour
    Hello, I am in Toronto, Canada. I got a great answer for a previous question, however I wanted to know WHY I cannot cover my Goldwell permanent hair colour with a good brand of Non-Permanent colour? Such as Clairol. I want to do it at home. What might happen? Thank you in advance.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 05:43 PM

You can. Nothing much will happen if it truly is a non-permanent (i.e. temporary) hair color. If it's a semi-permanent (or demi-permanent), then you might have problems. The two colors will "mix".

Hair coloring doesn't work like paint. If you color your hair, the underlying color shows through. That's why if you want to go lighter, you have to bleach the hair first.

Apr 24, 2009, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    You can. Nothing much will happen if it truly is a non-permanent (i.e. temporary) hair color. If it's a semi-permanent (or demi-permanent), then you might have problems. The two colors will "mix".

Hair coloring doesn't work like paint. If you color your hair, the underlying color shows through. That's why if you want to go lighter, you have to bleach the hair first.

ok Thank you Perito. Are these items semi-permanent?: Clairol Natural Instinct and Clairol Herbal Essence? RG/Aquareii
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 06:03 PM

Natural Instincts is a "demi-permanent". They sell it by calling it a semi-permanent but that's technically not correct. Herbal Essences is a permanent haircoloring, I believe. Neither of these are temporary haircolorings. Note that my answer was only for truly temporary haircoloring -- not for demi-permanent, semi-permanent, or permanent.

If you use one of these, the color will mix with the color that your hair is currently. It will not replace it. It will work kind of like looking through two pieces of glass that are colored different colors.

If you wish to go a bit lighter, it simply won't work. There's an old addage in the industry that says "color won't lighten color". Interpreted, that means that a lighter haircoloring won't lighten hair that's been colored by a darker haircoloring. If you wish to do this, you need to use something like ColorFix, which is a haircolor remover.

By the way, if you use a demi-permanent on colored hair, it might not ever come out -- it may become permanent. This is especially true of bleached hair.

May 13, 2009, 02:47 PM

OK Perito, Thanks very much for your answer. I'm going grey and the colour at this point is "auburn". Wanted to keep it and do it at home. Love the metaphor of looking through different colours of glass. Maybe that's a more natural look anyway.
    Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Allergy to pdd or ppd in permanent hair colour(black) [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend has suffered severe allergic reactions to permanent black hair colors and has been told she's allergic to pdd or ppd. Its known as differnet names in different places She has been using natural black hair colours successfully without any allergy, although they wash out so quickly...

How can I remove a permanent hair colour? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently used a permanent colour on my hair,now I am fed up and I really want to change it.what can I use or do?

How do I fade semi-permanent colour [ 1 Answers ]

Help :confused: I recently coloured my mid/dark brown hair with loreal casting crème gloss in dark brown which is a semi permanent colour lasting about 28 washes. I was expecting a nice chocolate brown colour but it when a very very dark brown almost black. :( I did this on Saturday. I...

Permanent & Semi Permanent Hair Color [ 3 Answers ]

HELP - I want to remove the Black hair dye (my natural color is dark brown) but I've used BOTH semi and permanent shades of black colors. Besides going to a Salon what's my best alternative? Thank you.:confused: :confused:

Permanent hair colour... oops... [ 3 Answers ]

:rolleyes: hi all... I have naturally blonde hair and wanted a change so I got a brown hair colour not realising it was permanent. Yeah silly me... )Blonde:confused: ), I liked it as it was quite a deep brown, but now it's fading and I would really like it to be back to blonde again( I have a...

View more questions Search