Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vainella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 03:16 PM
    1099 and timeclocks
    I am in the state of Ohio. I work for an employer who pays their 1099 contractors hourly, but will not allow them to use the company timeclock. Their hours are recorded by hand on a time card by the receptionist. She has to record their time and initial it in order for the IC to get paid. The company routinely docks the ICs if they get lost on the way to a job, or if they make any mistakes. The ICs used to use the timeclock, but one day after a meeting with their accountant, she told us that ICs are not to use the timeclock anymore, and that they were advised by the accountant that if they ever got audited, to run the timeclock over with a truck. Something about this smacks of impropriety. Am I way off here? And if I'm not- who should I contact. I plan on leaving this job because they are already in financial trouble, but I worry about the people who will be left- they don't deserve to be bilked out of their money, or their rights.
    Booky Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 02:29 PM

There are specific tests for whether an independent contractor is actually an independent contractor. Check with your state's department that oversees unemployment benefits. Usually they are the ones that would be able to tell you whether you are actually an independent contractor in the eyes of the law, or if you have been cheated out of being paid as an employee. The time clock is one of the tests... I personally believe that your employer is cheating you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can 1099-A be used on Form 982 or MUST it be 1099-C [ 1 Answers ]

Please help! There are conflicting answers even within this forum. I have received a 1099-A for a home I foreclosed on in 2008. On my 1099-A Box 2: Principle Outstanding balance is less that Box 4: FMV. Here is what I would like clarity on please: 1. How do I handle or What form do I use...

1099 income with no 1099 form [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file my taxes with out a 1099 form? How can I get one? Thank you

1099 Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I know that I have to file a 1099 at the end of the year. What I am trying to find out is- What is a base percentage that I should with hold from each pay check, so that I will be able to pay what I owe... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1099-G and 1099-INT, filing as a non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

1099-g and 1099-int [ 8 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am following this forum for last couple of months. It is a very good source of tax information. I am non-resident alien from India. I was on F1 (OPT) from Jan 06, 2005 to Nov 30, 2005. My H1B status started on Dec 01, 2005. I am filing 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. I have received...

View more questions Search