Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meila22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2004, 06:52 AM
    WinXP, Hourglass will not go away..
    Once my system boots up. The hourglass appears whenever I move it to the system tray. I can access any folders and programs on my desktop without a problem. But cannot click on the start button or click on any icon on the system tray due to the hourglass. (seems as if something is still trying to load) I cannot acces the internet or Email ( which I cannot help but think is related to the hourglass issue) I have a cablemodem and am running winXP.
    Thanks for any help
    sondunn1128 Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Jul 19, 2004, 09:51 PM
    Re: WinXP, Hourglass will not go away..
    Just a question, and I'm not trying to be a smartass, but how did you access this webpage if you can't access the internet like you said. Also, press ctl-alt-del and go to processes and list what is running in the background and tell me what is running on the task bar on the bottom right.
    preyes80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2004, 05:46 PM
    Re: WinXP, Hourglass will not go away..
    I am having the same problem, every time I go to put my mouse over the startm menu it turns into an hour glass. (I'm typing on another computer right now) When I check the Windows Task Manager these are the programs that are running in the background: Explorer.exe; Svchost.exe (3x under user names: Local Service, Network Service, and System); Spools.exe; Inetinfo.exe; Lsass.exe; Services.exe; Winlogon.exe; Csrss.exe; Smss.exe; System; and System Idle Process. On the taskbar, only the time shows up which doesn't change. I can end the explorer process and start a new task of explorer via the task manager, and I can click on the start button to get the menu up, but it only works for 2 seconds and then freezes up, and I can't do much else via the taskbar after that. (If this is confusing please let me know.
    dchaloup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2004, 05:44 PM
    WinXP, Hourglass will not go away..
    The hourglass over taskbar problem is XP is usually the result of the SSDP Discovery Service. This service searches for universal plug and play devices on the network. In the task manager processes list, the SSDP service shows as svchost.exe. To eliminate the problem, disable the SSDP service using the administrative tools of control panel. If you can't get to control panel, right click the my computer icon on your desktop and select manage. From there select services and applications and services.

The SSDP service is probably looping because TCP/IP is corrupted. That's why you can't access the internet or email. See document 817571 in the Microsoft knowledge base for instructions on fixing TCP/IP. It is actually quite simple to fix. You just have to delete the winsock sections of the registry and re-install the TCP/IP protocol. The Microsoft instructions are pretty good.

Good Luck.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 22, 2004, 12:39 PM
    You may also enter safe mode with networking. This mode will allow you to enter safe mode and still be able to connect to the internet to help with any potential troubleshooting that you may need to do. Safe Mode should also allow you to access any of your files and folders as well as control panel and the System Configuration Utility, should you need to edit something in your Startup folder.
    centurian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 10:35 AM
    I found out the culprit was System Guard which is part of Iolo System Mechanic... by shutting System Guard for a minute then starting it again hour glass is gone.. seem to happen every time I reboot
    rosesplace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
    I had a corded mouse that went to an hourglass nearly every time I clicked on something. I can do stuff, but, very frustrating because I have to wait for the hourglass to disappear before proceeding. I disconnected it and put my Logitech cordless mouse on.. same problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Winxp ftp [ 1 Answers ]

How can you change the file permission to file using winxp dos' ftp program? Is there a guide or list of commands for winxp dos' ftp program? Thank you,

Winxp pro [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: after being infected by trojan "download trojan". My display property "desktop" function is being disable. It only show the message "spyware infection" when I wanted to change the background of my display from the desktop function I just cannot change the browse function is disable. I had...

WinXP Pro vs WinXP Pro [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had to reinstall WinXP Home on my computer due to startup problems. After I reinstalled the OP using the WinXP Installation CD, whenever I startup the computer I immediately see the following screen: "Please select Operating System to Start: "Windows XP Home Edition - Windows XP Home...

Hourglass in Win XP [ 2 Answers ]

After I boot my computer and get the screen asking for my password the cursor turns to an arrow and the Desktop appears and then I can click on and run any desktop program, BUT, when I try and put the cursor on the start button the cursor changes to an Hourglass and I cannot get the menu to show....

WinXP Pro vs WinXP Pro [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a used PC that is running WinXP Pro as the operating system. As I later discovered this version is not a registered copy and I'm therefore unable to download any updates from Microsoft. I would like to install a new update version of WinXP Home over this XP Pro copy. Can it be...

View more questions Search