Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vs862 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Chihuahua with Seasonal Bald Spots
    I have an 11 year old male AKC registered Chihuahua. He is in excellent health, has 2 standard vet visits a year (1 for his booster shots, and 1 for renewal of his heart worm chews). He has had the same vet since he was 1 year old.

Every year around mid-September to Early October he develops bad spots which itch and are very irritated looking. If the spots are in a location he can reach he chews on them and makes a sore. The vet treats him with a cortizone/antibiotic shot which clears them up. Normally they appear on his belly and lower sides; however, this year they are on his back.

I'm wondering if anyone know what causes these and a safe home treatment for them.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2006, 11:45 PM
    Sounds like allergies. Considering he is a small dog, you can give him children's Benadryl and use a "hot spot" cream for dogs on the spots as they appear.
    If the allergy is flea related, Advantage and Front Line Plus really do work and are well worth the money. For a small dog, the treatment is about 10$ a month during the flea seasons.
    Has he ever been checked for allergies and/or do you notice any fleas at the time when his episodes start?
    guncrazy777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 02:33 PM

Spot on chihuaha's side been there 3 yrs tried antiboitic cream what will re-grow hair there.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 04:58 PM

Hey guncrazy, this is a really old thread, you will get more answers if you start a new one. Please make sure to have more detail, like is she stills scratching at the spot, and what have you already tried etc...

Ps, antibiotics won't help hair grow back...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund with bald spots [ 11 Answers ]

I have a daschund who is 1 year and about 7 months. He is very eager and friendly and in really good shape. I switched him from Iams to Nutro a while ago, and the dandruff he used to have has completely gone away because his skin is of course better moistened. But just recently, I have begun to...

Nesting Bald Eagles [ 2 Answers ]

Kennedy Space Center Eagles KSC has quite a few pairs of nesting Bald Eagles. The most famous is a pair that return every year to nest in a pine tree about half way between the Vehicle Assembly Building (a massively huge structure) and Kennedy Parkway. Every year the KSC photography contractor...

Seasonal Affective Disorder [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all, :) I have been getting the feeling that I'm starting to feel that I have got Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D:confused: )! Is there anybody else on this site that suffers from this or has family, friends or so on that could give me some in light into this so I feel like I'm not going...

Toilet bowl level seasonal change? [ 1 Answers ]

Once it got hot outside, my toilet bowl fell to a lower water level than during other seasons. Sometimes it takes more than one flush to clear the bowl. I made some minor adjustments to get it back to a reasonable height only to find it drop down again. Am on a septic and this toilet (1 of 2) is...

Bald cat [ 1 Answers ]

My 1.5 yo outside cat has just recently started getting big mats of hair around neck and they are falling out. The cats neck is going bald. It seems to be the only place. Any ideas? Is my other cat in danger? How about my border collies? The cats live in the barn but have good food and good beds....

View more questions Search