Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bailsmb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Honeywell RTH3100c Wiring Question
    I have a Goodman 5 ton 13 seer heat pump. We have a pre-existing heating unit (electric) that is to be used for just Emergency heat. I connected all the wires, but there was a question that came up. The manual said that if the old thermostat had w1, w2 and why wires, I need to contact a heating cooling contractor. My old thermostat has a W2 and Y wire. Should I plug the W2 wire into the Aux slot or should I cap it off? All that we want to do is have the heat pump work as heat/ac and the pre-existing unit as Emergency Heat, not auxiliary heat. This is a brand new home so I have not used the heat in the house before. I do not think the pre-existing unit was wired for auxiliary heat, only emergency heat. When I tested the heat after installing the new thermostat, it blew hot air, the heat pump came on, but it was saying auxiliary heat. I'm not sure if the heat pump & furnace both came on. I am wired using:
    E - E
    w2 - Aux
    Y - Y
    G - G
    O - O
    R - R
    There were no wires for L, B, and C, so they were not used.

Should the W2 go to Y and Y to Aux, or is it OK? Please help.
    Thank you.
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Sep 22, 2006, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bailsmb
    I have a Goodman 5 ton 13 seer heat pump. We have a pre-existing heating unit (electric) that is to be used for just Emergency heat. I connected all the wires, but there was a question that came up. The manual said that if the old thermostat had w1, w2 and y wires, I need to contact a heating cooling contractor. My old thermostat has a W2 and Y wire. Should I plug the W2 wire into the Aux slot or should I cap it off? All that we want to do is have the heat pump work as heat/ac and the pre-existing unit as Emergency Heat, not auxillary heat. This is a brand new home so I have not used the heat in the house before. I do not think the pre-existing unit was wired for auxillary heat, only emergency heat. When I tested the heat after installing the new thermostat, it blew hot air, the heat pump came on, but it was saying auxillary heat. I'm not sure if the heat pump & furnace both came on. I am wired using:
    E - E
    w2 - Aux
    Y - Y
    G - G
    O - O
    R - R
    there were no wires fo L, B, and C, so they were not used.

Should the W2 go to Y and Y to Aux, or is it OK? Please help.
    Thank you.

Seems OK to me... umm is there a fuse in the 24v control circuit? Might want to add one for protection just in case its wrong

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a honeywell th832OU1008 thermostat [ 5 Answers ]

I have an American Standard heat pump model TWGO36H140B with aux Emergency heat and I would like to wire a Honeywell TH832OU1008 thermostat. The wires coming to my present thermostat are: Brown= not connected X= blue w2= white and pink r=red g= green o = orange y= yellow e= pink ...

Honeywell RTH230B Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have an existing Honeywell non-programmable thermostat with 2 wires, a white and black. I 'd like to replace with the RTH230B programmable. After reading the Reader's Digest Do-it-Yourself book, it says I would need to add wires if I wanted to replace a non-programmable thermostat with a...

Wiring a Honeywell Chronotherm IV [ 3 Answers ]

What size wiring do you use for a thermostat? I need to move one from an exterior wall to an interior one. Also, any tips on fishing wires through insulation? Bringing it up the wall and over suspended ceiling and down another wall.

Old honeywell thermostat with clock - wiring question [ 4 Answers ]

I'm replacing an old honeywell thermostat with a new digital. The old one has the standard two wires - R and Wh, but then it has two C wires. I think they just provide power for the clock, and I'm wondering if I can just close off that circuit. The clock has two metal brush connections that...

Honeywell t8624d wiring [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to replace my old honeywell thermostat with a new Honeywell t8624d Chronotherm IV. My old thermostat is the round turning type. I just want to use my new one for a 1 zone heat in basement. There is a red and white wire coming out of the wall. The red is going to the valve and the white...

View more questions Search