Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chocolatelover Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 05:45 AM
    No doctor
    What can we do to receive help for my father-in-law who hasn't seen a doctor in over 40 years, and refuses to see one now. He is almost totally incapacitated. We do our best to care for him, but he is in serious need of medical help with lung problems, refusal to eat, and numerous lesions.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 05:46 AM

You make an appointment and drive him there. If it comes down to it, you take him to an Emergency Room.

Sometimes you reason with him. Sometimes you don't.

There is no easy answer here.
    chocolatelover Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 07:49 AM
    He had agreed to go the ER, and we called an ambulance to transport him. When it arrived he refused help. If we took him ourselves to the ER wouldn't we have the same problem if he refused? We need some kind of in home help at the very least, but with out a doctor's request we were told it couldn't be done. We live in PA
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 07:59 AM

Without him having seen a Doctor in so many years I am not aware of any "service" which will send a Doctor to his home - he undoubtedly will need some sort of medical tests, even if it's "only" bloodwork, and I don't see anyone agreeing to do that in his home.

Senior Services in your City MIGHT be able to help you - but I strongly doubt it.

My sister is a Social Worker and runs into this situation all the time - as long as he is of sound mind there is little you can do.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 03:37 PM

'numerous lesions' probably means bed sores and he must be totally uncomfortable. If he is refusing, then probably due to mild dimentia. Why did it take you so long to recognize what he needs?

Judy is right. Unless you can persuade him with something he really enjoys, lie to him if necessary. If you want to get him there, just do it. If you are really sincere about helping him, JUST DO IT.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No doctor [ 13 Answers ]

I have been seeeing a doctor an he has had me on oxycottin,40mil. for about 1and a half years,and now has cut me off cold turkey because a nerve pill he had me take,as needed,was not in my urine,now he refuses to see me an it takes time to set up another docter.3 other docters said he cant,by law...

Should I go to a doctor about this? [ 7 Answers ]

A few weeks ago I was outside with my dad and there was ice everywhere. I was about to leave for school and when I walked outside I slipped on the steps. At first my back and my backside was hurting but it doesn't hurt anymore. I also fell on my left elbow. Every time I touch my elbow it hurts....

Bad doctor [ 4 Answers ]

What do you do with an indecent a family doctor who just can prescribe something to you (paxil) without a proper diognosis and over does not care about the patient, I live in toronto, canada and it is very difficult to find a family doctor, beside my first q. if you live in toronot who do u go to...

Should I see a Doctor [ 2 Answers ]

HI All, I have had my period for 13 to 16 days now. For the past 5 years I have averaged a period every 6 weeks for no more then 5 days. I have had two surgeries for endometriosis. Is this normal and at what point should I see a doctor?

Why should I go to the doctor [ 4 Answers ]

I am a student who is doing a speech on why people should go to the doctor. I wanted to know if anyone could give me a few reasons that will back up my reasons. If you are a doctor that would be so helpful. And if you could please give me your name (last is fine) and what kind of doctor you are,...

View more questions Search