Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmonahan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 04:28 AM
    Year lease expired in January. Are we now a month to month?
    Our one year lease expired in January. I called the landlord then and reminded him we needed to renew the lease. He said he would stop by and take care of it, but never did.After a couple more calls into him with nothing done I gave up. Did the lease then go to a month to month? I've read our original lease and see nothing in it that explains this. It is now April and my husband and I have found a home. We will be moving in May 1st. We would have liked to give the landlord more notice, but we just found the home and can't pass it up. We called the landlord and let him know this. He now says we still have to pay him rent for the month of May because we didn't give him 30 days notice. Can he do this?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Yes, when your lease expired you became a month-to-month tenant. That means that you have to give 30 days written notice when you want to terminate your tenancy. You should give the landlord a written notice today that you are moving out. And because you are giving him notice now you are still responsible for May rent.

Edit: Just thought of something. You didn't mention what state you're in. Some states, particularly Florida, only require 15 days notice to terminate a month-to-month tenancy. Let us know where you are and we can check to see the notice requirements.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 21, 2009, 06:44 AM

As Lisa mentioned generally when occupancy continues after expiration, the lease becomes month to month. When that happens ALL the terms of the lease, except rental and term carry over. So, if your lease specifies a 30 day notice, then you have to give 30 days and that leaves you responsible for the May rental.

If the lease does not specify a notice period, then you have to abide by statutory notice and to determine that we would need to know where you live.

The good news is that this gives you more time to move in. You won't have to move everything at once, so this could save you in moving costs.
    kmonahan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Yes, when your lease expired you became a month-to-month tenant. That means that you have to give 30 days written notice when you want to terminate your tenancy. You should give the landlord a written notice today that you are moving out. And because you are giving him notice now you are still responsible for May rent.

Edit: Just thought of something. You didn't mention what state you're in. Some states, particularly Florida, only require 15 days notice to terminate a month-to-month tenancy. Let us know where you are and we can check to see the notice requirements.

We live in the state of Illinois
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 07:13 AM
    Illinois law requires a 30 day written notice to terminate a month-to-month tenancy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Expired lease renting month to month [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently in a one year lease that expired feb 08.. we have been renting month to month with a verbal that if I am going to move out I would give 60 day notice. I went to give my 60 day notice that I would be leaving as of Jan 1, 09 and was informed that I was responsible for the lease until...

Month to Month after a year, no notice specified in lease [ 2 Answers ]

We finished our 1 year lease in October and have since been going month to month. However there is nothing written in the lease where it says how many days notice we have to give. How many days notice do we have to give legally in VA? Thanks, Ed

Getting a month to month tenant to sign 1 year lease [ 2 Answers ]

My New Jersey tenant signed a 1 year lease that ended last year and stayed in the apartment on a month to month lease. I am now thinking of putting the bldg up for sale. Is it important to have all tenants with signed leases when I put it up for sale? They seem to be dragging their feet on signing...

View more questions Search