Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markinfla Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 11:42 PM
    Child Support for adult child receiving SSI
    My divorce decree states that my child support continues until graduation or age 19, whichever comes first. My son had seizures when he was a baby and was on medication until age 10. After our divorce the ex managed to enable him to get SSI payments. He has recently turned 18 and I know she is putting him through medical tests because SS is reevaluating and qualifying him as an adult. IF he receives SSI as an adult, does he become emancipated at that point? He was diagnosed with a learning disability, however, his most recent report card has straight A's and he is fully functional. He graduates in 2010... Thanks in advance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 06:06 AM

Depends on the State - what State? There is a very recent thread on this same subject and the answer in that State was that the father is responsible for support as long as the child is determined to have a disability.

Your user name would make me think you are in Florida but I learned a long time ago that user names and location can be two different things.
    markinfla Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 09:56 AM
    He resides in Florida. Since my son is months away from his 19th birthday, I am under the assumption that my ex is putting him through extensive medical tests to enable her to to continue his child support beyond that time.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 11:01 AM

If your divorce paperwork says that the child support ends at a certain age then it will end regardless of what happens with Social Security.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by markinfla View Post
    He resides in Florida. Since my son is months away from his 19th birthday, I am under the assumption that my ex is putting him through extensive medical tests to enable her to to continue his child support beyond that time.
    The only way its going to be extended is through the courts. What she would have to prove is extrodinary expenditures for the child and also lack of skills ( i.e. he would need full time care ). It is possible that she may be able to get it extended until graduation without a lot of proof other then learning disability. So at most you might be looking at a 1 year extension. ( you had said he is set to graduate 2010 )
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 06:37 PM

I can't imagine getting anything extended if the kid gets straight A's. I am sure disability will turn him down. In Florida they turn everyone down the first time out of the gate and it usually takes years to successfully receive disability of any kind. The usual time in Florida from start to finish is about 3-4 years after at least 1 turn down and then retaining an attorney to help get the benefits. If the child was getting D's or F's then possibly the child has a learning disability... but with straight A's I cannot see them granting benefits. If SS is reevaluating him as an adult, then more than likely he will be dropped. They like to drop people for any and no reason. Then mom will have to reapply for him and try and convince the disability doctors that he has a disability. The extensive testing on her part for the son will end up backfiring for mom in the long run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

Back child support for adult child [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Texas collecting back child support through a child support collection agency for my two adult children. I admitted years ago to my ex-husband that one of the adult child may not be his but he never took the DNA test and could not get the other man to take the test. This summer I learned...

View more questions Search