Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 10:07 PM
    Pond fish at surface sucking bubbles
    It's 10 PM and it was 94' today, it is about 74' now. My pond fish (not all of them) are at one part of the pond at the surface looking like they are sucking in the bubbles from the fountain. I have 3 sources of bubbles and at this point one water lily about 2 feet in diameter and a couple other plants. Are they not getting enough oxygen? Or has it something to do with the sudden weather change? The water is about the same as it always has been at this time of year and the filters are clean.
    They ate fine today and nothing seemed unusual.
    Any ideas?
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Apr 20, 2009, 10:38 PM

According to : Identifying Possible Pond Problems Thru Koi & Goldfish Behavior, "Gulping — This is not to be confused with the gulping they all do when it's time to eat. Gulping at the surface indicates low dissolved oxygen levels in the water or problems with the gills such as flukes or gill disease."
    Of course the main site tries to sell you stuff, but maybe it will lead you in the right direction.
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 12:00 PM

Oh course they fine again today when the alge wasn't sucking their oxygen away, but according to everything I read I know how to handle it.
    Thanks again.

Do you have any idea how to keep racoons away from the fish, besides chicken wire?

Apr 21, 2009, 01:12 PM

Oh if only I had the space to tell you my racoon story! They are craft b*****ds. And I doubt that chicken wire would keep them out. I googled "raccoon repellant," and found quite a few listings. With several methods to try, including this one, How to Get Rid of Raccoons. It has some common sense things on there to make your yard less attractive to them, but I bet a big watering hole with food in it might be doing it. If you get any sort of chemical repellant, even if it's "100% organic," check with the manufacturer or really a vet to see if it is good to use near your pond. Alge is organic and you can see what it did.
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 03:06 PM

The whole article was very amusing and true. I live in the suburbs (kind of) now and my old neighbors used to leave cat food in the garage and the racoons would come in and eat, even if they were there doing laundry. They took away the food and so they came to my fish. I also have possums, but don't know if they eat fish. I have a great device of chicken wire on right now, because it seems that they only come around in the winter, but now I am concerned about taking it off for the summer. I have a dog that drinks out of the pond (?) so I can't put any chemicals in it. In the summer I get the most beautiful monster Blue Herons trying to eat my fish. It's really a pain in the a--. But the things I see are something to remember.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 05:01 PM

I can help with the Heron but not the raccoons, I think you need the help of two friends, Smith and Wesson. You can stop the heron by stringing very fine, clear fishing line zig zag across your pound right at the surface. When the heron land they trip up in the line and it feaks then out, they learn quickly that your pond is possessed.
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 05:25 PM

Ha Ha I'm not shooting anything, I would hurt myself in more ways than one.
    They actually land on the side and stand very still until they can shove their head in to get something. I saw one once early in the morning and for a split second, thought It was a beautiful statue and then ran out, (because I knew I had no beautiful statue) it took off with at least a 5 foot wing span, (or so it seemed) or more. It was beautiful. On the other hand my neighbors have told me when I wasn't home they saw Egrets (?) on the roof with fish in their mouth. Pain in my butt. I'm getting really used to the chicken wire.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 07:13 PM

You can raise the fishing line to maybe 1' above the water and stretch it from sticks in the ground a few feet outside the pond walls.

Apr 25, 2009, 12:19 AM

Herons? I thought they were only in my neck of the woods. Don't use a gun, that might not be legal. Try getting one of those plastic owls that they sell in garden stores, or maybe like a "Outdoor World." Or online, try this:
    Owl | Gempler's
    With the Racoons, if the neighboor was "feeding them," Why not get some cheapo dry cat food, and set up a decoy spot away from the pond? Any animal that finds easy pickings will go for it. You can also contact your local humane society and rent "have-a-heart" traps. They trap the racoon without hurting it, and you can release them somewhere that would be safe for them and away from you.
    Wow, egrets and herons. Do you have anhingas, like the one in my picture? They are cool birds. They spend the day diving for fish and sunning... I'd like a job like that!
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 11:38 AM

I've never heard of Anhingas, so I'm guessing that we don't have them or they haven't found my pond yet. I bet they would just laugh at the Owl though.
    I've seen those Owls before, didn't know if they actually worked.

Apr 27, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I've never heard of Anhingas, so I'm guessing that we don't have them or they haven't found my pond yet. I bet they would just laugh at the Owl though.
    I've seen those Owls before, didn't know if they actually worked.
    The picture in my avatar is one. It was taken in Everglades National Park, on a cold day, (the only way to go down there because of the mosquitos.) This one was calm, considering that it was crowded that day, and everyone was walking up to it and taking it's picture. Maybe s/he is a ham?
    At any rate. The site has animated owls, that do the head swivel thing and look more realistic. I've also heard that stringing aluminum foil pie pans from a tree also scares off birds, because it's shiny and moves. But I have no scientific fact to back that up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to clean pond with fish still in [ 4 Answers ]

I need to get the skum out of the bottom of my pond, but I have no where to put the fish, so I'm thinking vacuuming is out of the question. Does anyone have any good ideas? It's only about 500 gallons and the water is clean, but I can see accumulated debris at the bottom.

Cleaning a fish pond filter [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fish pond (approx 2000 gallons) that came with the house I just purchased. It went green so I asked 2 local companies for advice. Both came to the house and looked at my pond. The filter is a biological gravity filter by the way. One guy said don't touch the filter and the other one...

How many koi fish to put in a pond? [ 5 Answers ]

SOMEONE HELP! I am getting a koi fish pond in New England I am having difficulty figuring out how many koi fish to put in the pond I have looked in the interent but there really isent any answer I don't want to overcrowd the fish but I also want to keep them from growng to big (about 6") The...

Surface tension 2 bubbles [ 3 Answers ]

http://www.geocities.com/nk7jaffna/askmehelpdesk/soap2.JPG

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search