Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scaredypants Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 09:12 PM
    Which reference is better
    Who should I use as my reference

Guy A:
    -store manager and general representative for the provincial branch of company
    -well carried and expressed individual
    -Thinks I work very well
    -but is well aware that I am anything but punctual (knows I skipped work often)

Guy B
    -floor manager
    -kinda creepy
    -understands that I work hard
    -would hide the fact that I was less than punctual
    Esmeralda777 Posts: 9, Reputation: 0
    -

Jun 6, 2009, 12:25 AM

Get a friend to call each of them, acting like a potential employer. Use the one that says the best things about you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 05:46 PM

Sorry very poor advice to have someone pretend and check reference, when they figure that out, normally by asking for a formal letter faxed or sent on company letter head with a written permission to release the info.

Normally they always figure it out, and will often stop giving out any, or make a note of this activity, which will hurt you more.

If checked properly, they don't call the person you put down often, they call HR or the main manager and/or often merely fax a form to be filled out
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 30, 2009, 07:47 AM

I am HR and I do call the reference listed.. every time!

I would put down the reference that would be honest because you cannot trust the other reference if he would cover attendance for you what else might he say about you. Honesty is best.

If a reference says you have an attendance problem and everything else checks out I would simply call you and ask about the attendance problem and give you a chance to explain it. Whether I believed the explanation is another story.

Attendance does matter so I suggest on your next job you show up to work and you work the time you are scheduled.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I cross reference? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I cross reference SODA, Inc This is an acronym for Stop on A Dime Assets

Not sure who to contact about a reference [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a part time job. I am currently working part time and plan to keep that job too. I have been at my current job for a year and a half. Prior to this, I worked 3 years for a company which manages rental properties. I was a groundskeeper/manintenence person. I had 4 different...

Bad Reference [ 4 Answers ]

I was going to start on a job on the Monday and on the Thursday my potential employer pulled out, I have since found out that this was from a bad reference from my former employer. Although nothing is in writing he has been boasting to other colleagues that he has messed up my chances big time! I...

Reference signitures [ 1 Answers ]

hi I live in british columbia canada, I signed a personal loan as a reference signiture in the late nineties. That loan was paid off and I signed as a reference again for the same person. He quit making payments in 2000, the account was sold to a collections agency and they are harassing me and...

View more questions Search