Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    house4sal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Attic Insulation and venting
    I am going to have our roof reshingled. AT that time, I would like to add insulation in our attic, and additional venting. Currently all I have is gable vents. Should I add ridge venting as well as soffit venting with gable. Or will one of these suffice with gable vents?

Thank You
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 03:16 PM

You should be good with what you have. It is not advisable to mix gable and ridge vents, they can draft through each other and pull in rain or snow. You can add more soffit vents if you feel the sq ft of the gable can handle more air. Make sure the extra insulation does not block the free air movement entering the attic via the soffit.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 05:51 PM

Just to add to bals good advice here

Side note: the added insulation should NOT have a vapor barrier on it.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Apr 20, 2009, 06:30 PM

house4sal, a few other things to think about in regards to attic venting. Free air space, or the amount of ventilation is key as well as geographical location of the house, pitch/steepness of the roof, and finally cost. For the dollar, ridge venting is the most free air space for your dollar with no maintenance costs.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 06:47 PM

21boat, my bad, I totally forgot to mention the insulation must have no vapor barrier, thanks. Previous poster states a ridge gives a lot of bang for the buck which may be true. However a gable vent will draw are in and vent via the ridge vent. Should not have both, you need to pull all your fresh cold air in from the soffit vent.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 07:20 PM

No problem bal1 You covered enough of my oops and thanks for all that you do here..

Just to re cap soffit to ridge venting is the perfect air flow set up. Cold air pulled in to slight warmer air above insul and chimney out the ridge vent.

Houseforsale if you want you can buy 'baffels" for the air space needed by the soffits when thicker insul is put in. The baffles comes single and double wide. If you see just doubles they can be utility knifed into singles.

The baffles start right where the soffit vents stop at the house plate. Not out over the soffit which needs to be clear of everything

900117 ATTIC VENT INSULATION BAFFLE SINGLE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"A" frame attic insulation and venting [ 4 Answers ]

I am converting my "A" frame attic into a living space. The joists stick out 5" from the roof and are 22" apart. It's an old house and measurements change give or take a half inch from joist to joist. Even though there is no ridge vent there are roof louvers about 3 ' from the peak. I can only...

Attic Insulation [ 2 Answers ]

Is it wise to put new insulation over old insulation in the attic? I have fiberglass insulation now and would use the same kind from a home supply center. My home was built in 1968. It would be a messy job removing the old insulation and replacing it with new insulation that is why I asked the...

Attic Insulation [ 4 Answers ]

I have a full walk through unheated attic with 3 1/2 " of insulation in the rafters. I intend to remove the insulation and install approx. R-30 in the floor and cover with Plywood to use as storage. In the future I will be heating the space and converting it Into a bedroom. My question is can...

Attic Insulation [ 3 Answers ]

I have a walk out attic over my garage. I was able to install myself r13 batts of over the 3rd car garage area as the studs fit the insulation perfect for what I installed in the walls of the garage. I had extra so used it up. The only section left to insulate is the 2 car part, but am not sure...

Attic Insulation [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in the process of building a house and have received conflicting advice on insulating the attic. The architect specified "Sealection" foam insulation against/under the roof with a conditioned attic. However, the builder decided to ignore this specification since that's method is not what they...

View more questions Search