Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lisa Yazdi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Self-Employment Tax
    Currently, I am a 1099 employee. In order to pay my SE tax (SS and Medicare tax),
    Would there be a tax saving for me to form a corporation under my SS, and then pay my salary and taxes through the corporation, versus paying taxes directly to IRS (without forming a corporation). Please explain.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

>Moved from Forum Help<
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Lisa:

If you pay on the same amount of money earned, you will actually pay the same amount of tax, it will just be incredibly more complicated if you set up a corporation to do it with.

Now, you CAN structure the payments you receive as income paid to the corporation, then draw both a salary and have the corporation pay you dividends. The salary is subject to employment (Social Security, Medicare, unemployment) taxes, while the dividends are not.

Again, this is exceptionally complicated, would essentially require the services of an accountant and would NOT save you a lot of money UNLESS your 1099 income exceeds $100,000.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 12:56 AM

Yes, report 1099-misc as your own income. Setting up corporation and then meeting it filing requirement is unnecessarily complicated things unless you have other reasons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employment Law regarding employment applications [ 2 Answers ]

I know that employers can ask on their applications if you have ever been convicted of a felony, but I ran into one the other day that asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years?" Just wondering why the 7 years.

Self employment! [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about being a self employed registered nurse?

At-Will Employment [ 7 Answers ]

I started a job on Sep. 21, 2007 and am being terminated on Dec. 1, 2007. My supervisor simply said I was not a good fit and I might not have known, but this is an at-will position so I am being terminated. The offer letter did not state it was at-will nor was in mentioned in the interview. Do I...

W2 during OPT employment [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in Aug. 2000 with F1 and graduated in Nov. 2006 without changing my visa status during those years. My opt started in Dec. 06' and I got a job starting in Dec 06' after I got employment card. So basically I got payments from both school (almost whole year) and company (2 weeks)...

View more questions Search