Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2 Dog Moms Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Sick Puppy
    Hello All,

We have a 4 month old black lab that we rescued from the shelter only one week ago. She was diagnosed with Giardia, but we have meds for that and she seems to be getting/feeling much better. However, now she seems to have a cold or allergies. She sneezes no less than 6 times in a row with flying snottage and she's hoarse when she tries to bark, plus, she has sort of a wheezing cough. We made a vet appointment, but we aren't able to get her in for another 4 days! I can't wait that long and want to take her to the ER vet, but I wanted to know if I'm worrying too much or if it's serious enough to make that leap to the ER.

Can anyone help?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 09:31 AM

Yes, I would recommend you take her to an ER vet if one is available to you.

It could just be allergies like you said but there are also a lot more serious conditions that present these symptoms as well :)
    lavanyaa Posts: 190, Reputation: 4

Apr 20, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Yes, I would reccomend you take her to an ER vet if one is available to you.

It could just be allergies like you said but there are also a lot more serious conditions that present these symptoms as well :)
    I do agree with this point
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 20, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Dog Moms View Post
    Hello All,

We have a 4 month old black lab that we rescued from the shelter only one week ago. She was diagnosed with Giardia, but we have meds for that and she seems to be getting/feeling much better. However, now she seems to have a cold or allergies. She sneezes no less than 6 times in a row with flying snottage and she's hoarse when she trys to bark, plus, she has sort of a wheezing cough. We made a vet appointment, but we aren't able to get her in for another 4 days!! I can't wait that long and want to take her to the ER vet, but I wanted to know if I'm worrying too much or if it's serious enough to make that leap to the ER.

Can anyone help?
    Could be so many things that seem to come with dogs from the shelter, first question I would have is the area you live in, Valley Fever is very common depending what neck of the woods your from. Shelter dogs also do contract Kennel Cough that could turn serious if not treated, could also be a respiratory infection along the same lines. Don't be alarmed theses things with proper and prompt treatment are very curable but again being prompt so they don't spread and make the animal even more ill. I would call your vet and demand they see your lab... all Vets allow for emergency appointments and if they don't then find one that does! I would probably say that if this dog did not come from the shelter than maybe allergies but the experience I have with rescue animals the first month is crucial for observation, that is when you will find underlining problems with the animal that the shelter did not know about or didn't treat. Most shelter dogs also come with some sort of intestinal parasites for reasons being obvious but I feel that in itself taxes the immune system greatly, those parasites are feeding on what should be the animals nutrition so there the animal is not getting their proper nutrition. I would try with obviously finances permitting have a full blood panel done, that is just about a finger print for the animal to allow your Vet to know and then observe the health of the animal. Bless your heart for taking in a rescue, tough times sometimes in the beginning but ohhhhh so well worth it. They love you like no other. Good luck!
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsCanFix View Post
    I would probably say that if this dog did not come from the shelter than maybe allergies but the experience I have with rescue animals the first month is crucial for observation, that is when you will find underlining problems with the animal that the shelter did not know about or didn't treat. Most shelter dogs also come with some sort of intestinal parasites for reasons being obvious but I feel that in itself taxes the immune system greatly, those parasites are feeding on what should be the animals nutrition so there the animal is not getting their proper nutrition.
    I would recommend taking this dog to an emergency vet whether it was from a shelter or not. Kennel cough is extremely contagious and can be transmitted from a person touching an infected dog then touching their own dog when they get home.

Shelter dogs are treated for worms and parasites before being re-homed.

Apr 20, 2009, 11:35 AM
    I would reccommend taking this dog to an emergency vet whether it was from a shelter or not. Kennel cough is extremely contagious and can be transmitted from a person touching an infected dog then touching their own dog when they get home.

Shelter dogs are treated for worms and parasites before being re-homed.

Not in most cases are the parasites effectively treated, most of the time depending on how badly the parasites are depends on the amount of treatments the animal receives and as the poster stated they "have meds for that" sounds to me that the animal is currently being treated. The shelters do not keep the dogs treated, they are given a preliminary treatment that is sent home with the animal and then kept monitored hopefully by the owners own Vet. There are so many different forms of worms and parasites and some diagnosis needs a fecal sample and diagnosis that way, that costs money and most shelters do not have that kind of money to fund all those check-ups and treatments not knowing if the animal will even get adopted.

I disagree... As far as shelter dogs being treated before being re-homed... Quote" Shelter dogs are treated for worms and parasites before being re-homed."

Treatment is CURRENT and to be continued as the animal arrives at their new home, so any other animals that are in the home need to be kept away from the infected animal feces because of contamination. The treatment is not Before, but starts as adoption has been confirmed and approved, during and into the new home. The effects of parasites will in the mix of other health issues also be like I said "taxing" in that in itself on the immune system which could make the animal susceptible to other infections. To think that the shelter fully deals with parasites and the new owner does not need to is incorrect. They may be treated but not cured! I've treated some rescues up to a month because infestation was so bad.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 11:59 AM
    You cannot say that this is a problem without knowing where the OP is from or what shelter the animal came from.

The Giardia parasite DOES NOT give an animal these symptoms.

Also I never said that parasites were a "one time fix" she said she is currently medicating her dog. (indicating that the shelter has tested and this is the only problem)

If you want to argue with me about it please do it through PM as this is not helping the OP

Apr 20, 2009, 12:09 PM
    "Could be so many things that seem to come with dogs from the shelter, first question I would have is the area you live in, Valley Fever is very common depending what neck of the woods your from. Shelter dogs also do contract Kennel Cough that could turn serious if not treated, could also be a respiratory infection along the same lines. Don't be alarmed theses things with proper and prompt treatment are very curable but again being prompt so they don't spread and make the animal even more ill. I would call your vet and demand they see your lab...all Vets allow for emergency appointments and if they don't then find one that does!! I would probably say that if this dog did not come from the shelter than maybe allergies but the experience I have with rescue animals the first month is crucial for observation, that is when you will find underlining problems with the animal that the shelter did not know about or didn't treat. Most shelter dogs also come with some sort of intestinal parasites for reasons being obvious but I feel that in itself taxes the immune system greatly, those parasites are feeding on what should be the animals nutrition so there the animal is not getting their proper nutrition. I would try with obviously finances permitting have a full blood panel done, that is just about a finger print for the animal to allow your Vet to know and then observe the health of the animal. Bless your heart for taking in a rescue, tough times sometimes in the beginning but ohhhhh so well worth it. They love you like no other. Good luck!!"

That is my original post, I said right off the top "Could be so many things" I am not telling the poster that is the problem but merely giving ideas and suggestions. Will not argue or discuss this with you further. If a potential owner/agency is willing to adopt a sick animal from the shelter, they will release that animal and it will be up to the owner/agency to put the cost into the animal. So if we want to get technical then lets go there!! There was No reason for you to quote and post back at me, I was giving suggestions from my own experience as a current Animal Rescue Volunteer and Animal Rescue Center Co-Owner! I would appreciate you getting your facts straight before attcking back... I NEVER stated Giardia had these side effects specifically I stated that Parasites in general "tax" the immune system. As I watch you keep editing your post, It makes it hard for responders when there are so many edits. It makes no difference where the poster rescued the animal from this is a site of suggestions and ideas. You origianally posted that you've since removed that animals are not released unless they are totally healthy, that is not true and in my defence this current post of mine is in response to your changed post!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 12:25 PM

Okay, I'm going to step in and clear this up.

Sadly, because the dog was in a shelter, there is a possibility, even though one problem was detected, that the dog came home with something extra as well.

Kennel cough is my first thought, it's very common among shelter dogs and many dogs are sent to their forever homes with this problem. Good news, if it is kennel cough, it's not a huge deal once medication is given, but this isn't something that shouldn't be left for a few days, the vet needs to be seen now.

Shaz and MsCanFix. Both of you are right, and both of you are wrong. What you have to realize is that not all shelters do things the same way.

As far as I know, all shelters give the animal a vet check prior to putting them up for adoption. In our shelter, if a medical condition is found that will require long term treatment, then the potential adopter is advised of this condition before the adoption goes through.

Sadly, there are a lot of problems (kennel cough is one of them) that do not show up for days or are only transmitted once the dog goes into general population. Kennel cough is more common in shelter dogs because of the close quarters and the amount of stress the dogs are under. Not all shelters give their animals a final vet check before adopting them out.

My dog Jasper came to our home with kennel cough. Medication, some tlc and he was good as new in no time.

Let's not fight among ourselves, we're all here to help. It's okay to have differing opinions, but lets try to keep it repsectful. Okay?

We all love animals, but none of us are vets, so the best advice in this case is to see the vet as soon as possible. :)
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 12:25 PM

I was giving suggestions from my own experience as a current Animal Rescue Volunteer and Animal Rescue Center Co-Owner!
    As was I MsCanFix

From where I am they test animals for these things in shelters.
    Animals are provided with the proper care as very few people are willing to adopt a sick dog.
    The OP has obviously agreed to take in a sick animal and was advised by the shelter of the treatment.

Originally you said that if the animal was not from a shelter then your first thought would be allergies, whereas mine was not.

The OP only asked whether she should take her dog to an ER vet.
    My advice was yes, I agreed with you when you mentioned kennel cough as that is what I suspected as well but there could be so many different illnesses I really didn't see the point in trying to diagnose the dog as taking it to a vet is the only way to know.

I may have missed lines in your posts which I appologise for but having all your text running together makes it hard to read...
    2 Dog Moms Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Wow... I didn't mean to start a feud. Thank you all so much for your advice. I will definitely take my pup to the ER, I am acutally leaving work early to do so. We live in Northern GA. Not near many trees, just a few in the yard, but she hasn't been back there yet, we've been walking her through the neighborhood to get use to being on the leash before we let her romp in the yard. It's funny because she doesn't sneeze until we go outside and she slides her body through the grass. Got to run... wish us luck and thanks again.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 12:28 PM
    What you have to realize is that not all shelters do things the same way.
    That is why I said without knowing where she was from this might not apply... being from Australia is hard because sadly funded shelters in places like America don't have as higher standard of care as we do.

I appologise for firing up at you MsCanFix, I do appreciate and respect your answers, it's just a difference in opinion.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 12:30 PM
    It's funny because she doesn't sneeze until we go outside and she slides her body through the grass.
    That little bit of info could have ended this a lot earlier! Lol

I also appologise to you 2 dog moms for letting this get out of hand :) I hope we didn't confuse you

Apr 20, 2009, 12:45 PM
    I agree, this is a site to help, guide and allow for opinions. I too apologize shazamataz, I never want to cross the line of diagnosis but to just be the "Devils Advocate" and get the poster thinking of ideas and possibilities. I do wish you both lots of luck with the Vet, please let us know as we are all concerned. I am so fortunate that my best friend is a Vet that I've known for years so bless her heart to have the patience with all my animal rescues that she has helped me bring back to life. Shazamataz, you too have great thoughts and it's great that we can all share!
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 12:47 PM

Big hugs everyone! :)

OP, let us know what happens, we like to have updates, it helps us sleep better at night. ;)

Apr 20, 2009, 12:49 PM
    That is why I said without knowing where she was from this might not apply... being from Australia is hard because sadly funded shelters in places like America don't have as higher standard of care as we do.

I appologise for firing up at you MsCanFix, I do appreciate and respect your answers, it's just a difference in opinion.

Can't even remember, Shazamataz, what was the difference of opinion... LOL, so much back and forth I think we were all saying the same idea just in a different way... lol ;) glad to have worked it out.:)
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 12:51 PM

*hugs* I hope I don't scare you away :)

Yes, it amazing how much you think about this site after you leave it just thinking "I wonder if such and such 's dog is feeling better...?"

Yes please keep us updated, I'm now more intrigued than ever as to what the problem is :)

Apr 20, 2009, 01:07 PM
    No, you didn't at all, I just always want to be able to help but still allow others to know that I am just trying too with ideas and possabilities not diagnosis. "Hugs":) and you are sooo right about worring even when not being on here, I still think and wonder about the poster with the "Yorkie is sick" post, having such a sad and hard time with his/her loss, I just felt so bad for the poster and wonder how their doing. Anyway, have a nice day, sorry again about the above back and forth.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 01:09 PM

The worst is when the OP never returns :( You always wonder what has happened...

No worries :) me too. Bed time for me so goodnight, see you back here soon!
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsCanFix View Post
    No, you didn't at all, I just always want to be able to help but still allow others to know that I am just trying too with ideas and possabilities not diagnosis. "Hugs":) and you are sooo right about worring even when not being on here, I still think and wonder about the poster with the "Yorkie is sick" post, having such a sad and hard time with his/her loss, I just felt so bad for the poster and wonder how their doing. Anyway, have a nice day, sorry again about the above back and forth.
    It's hard. In a lot of ways we're doctors that never have the luxury on checking on their patients after all is said and done.

Too many people come here with concerns and then never come back to tell us if they're okay. You get used to it thought. I guess that's a bit sad and also why I've become a bit jaded.

I used to give long detailed answers, try to get to know the OP, their pet, etc. etc. but now I seem to just give the info and move on, no personal touch because it's likely that I'll never hear from them again.

It's sad, but I guess in some ways you have to harden your heart a bit, just so you can continue to do this.

Wow, an epiphany. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very sick puppy very sick [ 12 Answers ]

I know I have been reading on this site and others and before I go any further I know my pup needs a doctor. I can not afford one at all right now and they won't make a payment plan with me because I have horrible credit. I have an 8 months old black lab that I was given for free or they were...

My 1yr old puppy is sick, vomiting.not worms, sick only in morning. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello:) I am new here.. My 1yr old pup, Gracie, is a house dog, she is 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 Min. Doberman. For the last few days she has been vomiting in the morning, that is the only time she does. We are very careful what she eats & as we live in town, she stays indoor.. even to void. She is...

Sick puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my 10 week old puppy ate a small piece of a hot dog and now he's not feeling well. I didn't give it to him, I know not to do that. Does anyone know what I can do for him? Thanks

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

My six month old lab has lost her apatite and has refused to eat the last two days she won't drink much water either. She had dry heaves last night. She has been around kid for the last two day's and I think they may have given bubble gum or kit kat bars or both. When do y'all think I should go to...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a litter of 7 pups, 6wks old. I went to check on them and mom as I always do around 9:30 pm and one of them was vomiting and shivering. Brought her in the house to try to keep her warm. She drank some water and vomited it up within 30 minutes. None of the other pups seem to have any...

View more questions Search