Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2 Dog Moms Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Wanted to update everyone on the puppy. She has an upper respiratory infection. The ER vet sent us home with antibiotics and cough tablets... said "Kuttie" should be better within two weeks. The only hard part now is getting the dog to swallow the pill! She has to take the cough tablet once every four hours. The first 2x we used the pill pockets and she was fine. By the third time, she was on to us. We tried, cheese, peanut butter (which she was able to eat the peanut butter and STILL spit the pill out! ) I even tried slipping the pill into some pasta... no luck. Finally I just had to shove it down her throat and blow into her nose (it worked), but that seems so wrong.

Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions... they helped me tremendously and I appreciate you all.

Dog Mom
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Dog Moms View Post
    Wanted to update everyone on the puppy. She has an upper respiratory infection. The ER vet sent us home with antibiotics and cough tablets....said "Kuttie" should be better within two weeks. The only hard part now is getting the dog to swallow the pill!! She has to take the cough tablet once every four hours. The first 2x we used the pill pockets and she was fine. By the third time, she was on to us. We tried, cheese, peanut butter (which she was able to eat the peanut butter and STILL spit the pill out!!) I even tried slipping the pill into some pasta...no luck. Finally I just had to shove it down her throat and blow into her nose (it worked), but that seems so wrong.

Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions....they helped me tremendously and I appreciate you all.

Dog Mom
    Glad to hear she'll be okay. Giving pills to any of my animals is never fun. They sure do know how to eat the treat around the pill and still manage not to get any of the actual pill.

It may seem mean, but you have to do whatever it takes to get that pill in. Sounds like the blow into her nose trick is working. Don't worry, she'll forget about it all when you're done the doses. :)

Reminds me of a joke, maybe it will brighten your day. :)

How to give a cat a pill

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cats throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail; get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set aside for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbours shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessertspoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw T Shirt away and fetch a new one from bedroom.

12) Call the fire department to retrieve the f***ing cat from tree across the road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13) Tie the little b*****d's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to casualty, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for the RSPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

16) How to give a dog a pill... Wrap it in bacon
    2 Dog Moms Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 10:43 AM
    LOL thanks... that made my day!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Dog Moms View Post
    LOL thanks...that made my day!
    Sad thing is, it's true! :eek::p
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 22, 2009, 09:30 PM

Simple, get a can of wet pattee style dog food, scoop about 1Tbs of the pattee and create a little ball around the pill, the pill being inside and pattee food all around it. And bingo they swallow it and all done for your little one. I like Wellness brand but at this point any pattee will do just to get your animal taking the medicine.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 12:07 AM

2 dog moms - I hope your puppy is feeling better soon!

Ours always manage to find the pills hidden in the food so unfortunately we have to force them to take them... 2 fingers to shove the tablet to the back of their throat then tilt their head back and rub their neck until they swallow. Sounds mean but it works.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsCanFix View Post
    Simple, get a can of wet pattee style dog food, scoop about 1Tbs of the pattee and create a little ball around the pill, the pill being inside and pattee food all around it. and bingo they swallow it and all done for your little one. I like Wellness brand but at this point any pattee will do just to get your animal taking the medicine.

I could wrap one little pill in 2 pounds of anything. I then hand it to my dog who takes it, closes her mouth, chews and chews, moves it around in her mouth, swallows - and spits out the pill. She's a genius at it.

I go with the fingers down the throat approach.

(She can also separate kibble from canned dog food inside her mouth, swallowing the canned and spitting out the kibble.)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Glad to hear she'll be okay. Giving pills to any of my animals is never fun. They sure do know how to eat the treat around the pill and still manage not to get any of the actual pill.

It may seem mean, but you have to do whatever it takes to get that pill in. Sounds like the blow into her nose trick is working. Don't worry, she'll forget about it all when you're done the doses. :)

Reminds me of a joke, maybe it will brighten your day. :)

How to give a cat a pill

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cats throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail; get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set aside for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbours shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessertspoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw T Shirt away and fetch a new one from bedroom.

12) Call the fire department to retrieve the f***ing cat from tree across the road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13) Tie the little b*****d's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to casualty, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for the RSPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

16) How to give a dog a pill.................Wrap it in bacon
    I Loved that!!:D:D
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 02:51 PM
    Fashionably late to this party, we always open the dog's mouth, pull the tongue out like when they pant, drop the pill on the back of the tongue and let go. A peanut butter or liver cookie later and all is forgiven.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 02:44 AM

Hehe food mends all grievances with a dog :D
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 03:19 AM
    And if you get the pill far enough back, which takes practice to hit on the first try, the swallowing is automatic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very sick puppy very sick [ 12 Answers ]

I know I have been reading on this site and others and before I go any further I know my pup needs a doctor. I can not afford one at all right now and they won't make a payment plan with me because I have horrible credit. I have an 8 months old black lab that I was given for free or they were...

My 1yr old puppy is sick, vomiting.not worms, sick only in morning. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello:) I am new here.. My 1yr old pup, Gracie, is a house dog, she is 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 Min. Doberman. For the last few days she has been vomiting in the morning, that is the only time she does. We are very careful what she eats & as we live in town, she stays indoor.. even to void. She is...

Sick puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my 10 week old puppy ate a small piece of a hot dog and now he's not feeling well. I didn't give it to him, I know not to do that. Does anyone know what I can do for him? Thanks

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

My six month old lab has lost her apatite and has refused to eat the last two days she won't drink much water either. She had dry heaves last night. She has been around kid for the last two day's and I think they may have given bubble gum or kit kat bars or both. When do y'all think I should go to...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a litter of 7 pups, 6wks old. I went to check on them and mom as I always do around 9:30 pm and one of them was vomiting and shivering. Brought her in the house to try to keep her warm. She drank some water and vomited it up within 30 minutes. None of the other pups seem to have any...

View more questions Search